The Who (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The New Official Who Thread

That is a good album Sal, I had to play it uninterrupted a few times before it grabbed me, and I see you are filling in almost all the gaps now.:grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

It grabbed me immediately, but that could be because I was already a fan of their hits :grinthumb

Tommy is next on my listening list!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You know over the nearly 4 decades I've been playing music I actually prefer albums that grow on me rather than the immediately accessible ones. That's not to say that some debuts like Van Halen's first record didn't do both, but some sleepers that I had to play a dozen times or more to really "Get" what the artist/band was doing are special to me. Like Blue Oyster Cult's, "Secret Treaties", at first I didn't know what to make of it, but after two weeks of buying it, it became my fave BOC album of all time, and is in my top 50 rock albums as well. Similar to Quadrophenia, took a few plays but it's one of my favorite Who albums now.:D

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Any music that I can listen to over a long period of time and not get bored of is good music as far as I'm concerned, no matter what my first impressions are. I love both the excitement of liking something instantly, and the gradual interpretation and build up that you find with different bands, albums and songs. They're both great ways of discovering new music, and I can't say I prefer either :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I agree with you, as I said I enjoy both, but when I play a new Shostakovich Symphony, it is Impossible to get it all on the first listen, there is too much going on. Of course that is classical music which inherently requires more patience to take it all in, but the complexity and layers just keep giving more to you after repeated listens. Similar to "Meddle" from Pink Floyd, at first it was..."What the hell kind of PF album is this??":wtf: Then after playing it over a month it is now my 2nd favorite of their disography. I guess what I am trying to get across is the continual discovery that a well crafted gem offers, over those that hit you right away, but then you get bored with it after a while.

You should list your Who collection in order of preference once you have listened to them all enough to make an initial judgment.;)

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score

Groovy man, that's awesome vid, thanks for sharing it with us. I love how video is full of rare footages of The Who, and it's full of that unmercyful, spicy and sharp taste of The Who's rock. Moon's bangin' all around like maniac, Townshend is killing that solo, Daltrey is waving around with his mohawk shirt bringing the audience up and Entwhistle is looking at them with big chill, "Are those guys playing in my band?"

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score

I was a very big fan of Tommy (the film). I don't know why, but I really liked it. The music, the various musicians who acted in it, the way the story was told, it was all just so captivating!

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

Freaky, my first Who album was Who Are You too :D

I've got all the vinyls and a stack of cd's, special releases, VHS's, DVD's, bootlegs... let's just say I'm a fan :heheh:

Been lucky enough to catch them live twice, 98 and 07-ish - both great shows.

Concerning the 11 deaths - I was at the Roskilde Festival show in Denmark in 2000 when Pearl Jam was playing where 9 kids died. The Who helped Pearl Jam cope with that situation and move on as a band.

charliepage88

Reaction score

Any music that I can listen to over a long period of time and not get bored of is good music as far as I'm concerned, no matter what my first impressions are. I love both the excitement of liking something instantly, and the gradual interpretation and build up that you find with different bands, albums and songs. They're both great ways of discovering new music, and I can't say I prefer either :grinthumb

I completely agree. That's why I'll listen to an album and unless I just hate it (which is rare), say if I think it's "okay", I'll listen to it another time because there have been numerous times where I've listened to an album or song and not liked it, only to re-discover it later on and just can't stop listening to it.

I suppose musical tastes just change and some music I just have to hear a few times before I get used to it. (though I did used to listen to the first 30 seconds and missed out on some songs because of a bad/slow start)

Especially with The Who though, I need to pace myself. My 3 favorite albums from them are Leeds, Quadrophenia and Tommy and I could easily listen to them every day - but I don't want to get worn out on them. :tongue:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online