The Ultimate Question.. WHO IS THE GREATEST ROCK BAND OF THE 70'S?

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
led zeppelin and queen.
even those people who don't like these groups should be able to figure out why. led zeppelin isn't my favourite band, i've got only 3 of their lps, so that means there is plenty of their stuff i don't like. so i'm not mentioning this band because i love everything they've ever done.
its good to take a step back and view the bands without your personal preferences coming to the fore.[is that a word!?]

Yes, 'fore' is a word and the context is approriate.

I took greatest to mean the band I like the most (ELP). If greatest were to mean the most influential, I would have opted for Led Zeppelin. If it meant most popular, then it would probably be Queen who have overtaken The Beatles in some fairly recent polls. On record sales it might be Queen in the UK (Greatest Hits is the biggest selling single album in the UK), although I am not certain, and I do not know about worldwide.

zephead

Scream for CREAM!
Reaction score
Led Zep PERIOD. Most of the reasons have already been mentioned. Like Bonhom nicely said that Led Zep were a very different to other contemporary bands. Their music and songs were to be listened unlike the other popular bands whose songs could be nicely sang along.

I think only The Rolling Stones/The Beatles comes close to the Led Zep in terms of creativity and influence.

Recky

Reaction score
geez...um, Deep Purple, Zep and Queen with an honorable mention to Slade, The Stones and Black Sabbath

WetWilly

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
Reaction score
There's no right or wrong answer, but you can't for get to mention these guys..

Rush.jpg

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I would bet my red silk panties.

So you're the one that's got them. I was looking all over.

Anyhow, just reading through this thread makes a person realize just how lucky we are to have such a deep well to draw from.
Classic Rock is like fresh water, man.

I am kind of surprised though, that this cat was only mentioned in passing:

7337933620_2a9c56a8c3_n.jpg

from 1969 to 1979:
Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word*
Your Song
Take Me To The Pilot
Border Song
Song For Guy
Burn Down The Mission
Tiny Dancer
Levon*
Honky Cat
Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
Rocket Man
Daniel
The Bitch Is Back
Philadelphia freedom
Island Girl
Teacher I Need You
Someone Saved My Life Tonight
Elderberry Wine
High Flying Bird
Crocodile Rock
Funeral For A Friend (Love Lies Bleeding)
Candle In The Wind**
Benny and the Jets
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

Not to mention a couple of outstanding (better than the orginals, I think) covers:

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Pinball Wizard

I mean, c'mon. That's a couple dozen great charters in less than a decade.

* My two favorite Elton John Songs

**One of the most beautiful songs ever written. The live version is such a great tribute, a song about a young boy's view of a woman.
The angst and longing and sorrow is palpable.
You hear the fans cheer when the big image of Marilyn Monroe drops down and it's just so perfect.
The deepest line in that song is "All the papers had to say was that Marilyn was found in the nude". It's a testament to society's way of reducing someone's life till they're not even a person anymore. Just an object, and this young boy's anger about it.
(that's right, I'm a man and I called it beautiful. Because it is.)

Also, Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player is a vastly underrated and overlooked piece of rock history.

Ok, 'nuff said. Now back to the show.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online