The SWEET (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
The Sweet

Sweet are a British rock band that were a massive glam rock act throughout the 1970s, fronted by lead vocalist Brian Connolly and accompanied by bass player Steve Priest, guitarist Andy Scott, and drummer Mick Tucker.

It started in January 1968, Brian Connolly and Mick Tucker left Wainwright's Gentlemen to form another band, calling themselves The Sweetshop. They then recruited the bass guitarist and lead vocalist Steve Priest. Frank Torpey, a friend of Tucker's, was recruited to play guitar. It did not take long for Sweetshop to develop a following on the pub circuit and they were signed to the Fontana record label. At the time, another UK band released a single under the same name Sweetshop, so the band changed the name to The Sweet. Their debut single "Slow Motion" released in July 1968 failed to chart. Sweet was released from the recording contract and Frank Torpey left.

Their first hit "Funny Funny" in 1971 after teaming up with songwriters Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman and record producer Phil Wainman. During 1971 and 1972, their musical style followed a marked progression from the Archies-like bubblegum style of "Funny Funny" to a Who influenced hard rock style supplemented by a striking use of high-pitched backing vocals. The band achieved notable success in the UK charts, with thirteen Top 20 hits during the 1970s alone, with "Block Buster!" (1973) topping the chart, followed by three consecutive number two hits in "Hell Raiser" (1973), "The Ballroom Blitz" (1973) and "Teenage Rampage" (1974). Their first self-written and produced single "Fox on the Run" (1975) also reached number two on the UK charts. From 1976 the success started to decline and Sweet had their last Top 10 hit in 1978 with "Love is Like Oxygen". The year after, Connolly left the group to start a solo career and the remaining members continued as a threesome until they finally disbanded in 1981.

The three albums that were released after Brian Connolly left the group did not do very well at all with the first of the three "Cut Above The Rest" having limited success, "Water's Edge" and "Identity Crisis" did not even chart.

Since the mid-1980's, Andy Scott, Brian Connolly and Steve Priest have each played with their own versions of Sweet during different periods of time. Connolly died in 1997, and Tucker in 2002. The two surviving members are still active in their respective versions of the band; Andy Scott's is based in the UK and Steve Priest's in California.

Their last studio album was called "Sweetlife" this was released in 2002 and had a more AOR sound with only some songs slightly reminiscing back to the heady days of the 70's with a less heavy sound. The line up featured Andy Scott on lead / backing vocals and guitar, Jeff Brown Lead vocals, Bruce Bisland drums and Steve Grant keyboards and Backing vocals.

Steve Priest has also released a cover version of " The Beatles" "I Saw Her Standing There" as The Sweet in 2010 which is available on iTunes only.

Thanks to Wikipedia and other sites and books for some of the info.

Here is a classic song performed by The Sweet with Ritchie Blackmore on guest guitar...

All Right Now

Berndawg

Reaction score
Re: The SWEET

This was a Glam/Bubble gum band all the way. However, they were the best at it. The music they played was fun and everyone loved it. They showed that you didn't have to be artistic, you didn't have to play ten minute songs with never ending guitar and drum solos. They played cute, simple and catchy tunes. Bands like this had a limiited shelf life, they came, they played and and they left.

Desolation Boulevard is probably in everyones record collection

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score

I happened upon a couple of songs by this band recently, and would like to hear more of their stuff. Can anyone recommend a particular album to start with?

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score

I happened upon a couple of songs by this band recently, and would like to hear more of their stuff. Can anyone recommend a particular album to start with?

Sweet Fanny Adams is your best bet there. If you can, try and get the CD reissue/remaster from 2005; it tacks on quite a few non-album singles to the end, including Ballroom Blitz, Blockbuster etc.

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score

Cheers RC :grinthumb

I'll try and get a copy as soon as I can, then come back to share my thoughts at a later point.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score

From what I've learned and listened to, SFA and Desolation Blvd came out the same year with songs intertwined on U.S. and U.K. versions and the modern remasters as well. Basically the years between 1973 and 1975-76 they wrote and recorded about 30 songs and in my opinion that was their most prolific era of their power glam/hard rock sound. So either SFA or DB is a good starting point. But every song from that era (US, UK, bonus tracks from remasters) is pretty darn cool.

nwobhm

Reaction score
sweet official thread?

hi all

do we have a sweet official thread...... ?

anyone point me in direction

Ballroom Blitz

Fox On The Run (HD High Definition) Top Of The Pops 13th March 1975

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiammeee

Staff online

Members online