The Sub-Genres of Progressive Rock.

Select up to four of your favourite progressive rock sub-genres.

• Canterbury Scene

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Crossover Prog

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Eclectic Prog

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Experimental/Post Metal

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Heavy Prog

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Jazz Rock/Fusion

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Krautrock

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Neo-Prog

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Post Rock/Math Rock

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Prog Folk

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Progressive Electronic

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Progressive Metal

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Psychedelic/Space Rock

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • RIO/Avant Prog

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Rock Progressivo Italiano

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Symphonic Prog

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Zeuhl

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

joe

Reaction score
The progressive rock genre covers such a expansive range of musical diversity and influences thus resulting in many sub-genres that have devoloped and progressed through the last four decades.

With this poll question, if you like, elaborate on your choices you chose from the poll. With this discussion, remember that this is personal thoughts and expressions and should be respected. Agree to disagree politely. By no means feel you have to expand on your choices and why, as it's just an option.

The following sub-genres are taken from the site Progressive Rock Music Ultimate Discography ... with Free MP3, Videos and Reviews and are defined extensively and give excellent examples of the leading artists for each sub-genre and reviews of thier albums. Here's the list and a few example of the artists that 'define' the sub-genres:

Canterbury Scene: Caravan, Gong, Soft Machine
Crossover Prog: The Moody Blues, Supertramp, Alan Parsons Project, Phideaux
Eclectic Prog: King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Birds and Buildings, Beardfish
Experimental/Post Metal: Tool, Kayo Dot, Maudlin On The Wall, Isis
Heavy Prog: Rush, Uriah Heep, Atomic Rooster, Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta
Jazz Rock/Fusion: Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Santana, Frogg Cafe
Krautrock: Can, Amon Duul II, Faust
Neo-Prog: Marillion, IQ, Arena, Pendragon
Post Rock/Math Rock: Godspeed You!Black Emperor, Mogwai, Red Sparrows
Prog Folk: Jethro Tull, Strawbs, The Decemberists
Progressive Electronic: Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Brian Eno
Progressive Metal: Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Ayreon, Riverside
Psychedelic/Space Rock: Pink Floyd, Eloy, Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles, Oceansize
Rock in Opposition: Henry Cow, Univers Zero
Rock Progressivo Italiano: Premiata Forneria Marconi, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Le Orme, Area
Symphonic Prog: Yes, Genesis, ELP, Camel, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard
Tech/Extreme Prog Metal: Opeth, Edge of Sanity, Cynic, Death, Voivod
Zeuhl: Magma, Koenjihyakkei

Most artists can be defined by more than one sub-genre.

Choose up to four sub-genres as one choice is very limiting to such an array of musical artists and the complexities, arrangements and musical structures of progressive rock.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Too much musical diversity to pick only four for me so I stuck to Progressive Rock
and will leave the Progressive Metal as if it was not on the list.

It was either that or not be able to choose

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow...there is a wide diversity of prog. I never realized there were so many sub-genres. I have always just called the music 'progressive' and it really didn't matter to me the fine tuning of the descriptions......

To be honest, I like bands from each sub-genre. It is much too difficult to chose a favorite sub-genre but for the sake of the poll I will go with the Psychedelic/Space prog, then Symphonic Prog, followed by crossover.

snowblue

Reaction score
I don't understand sub-genres....I don't like to pigeon-hole music. I know what I like and most times don't know or care which genre it falls into.

What do some of them mean? What's "crossover prog", "neo-prog", "rock in opposition", "math rock", "space rock"? Who comes up with these genres? Why do we need so many? I've never heard of them!

Sorry, Joe, but I just find it all too confusing! :rolleyes: :D

snowblue

Reaction score
I've just checked the link you provided and I'm more confused than ever!

I thought I liked progressive rock but as I haven't heard of most of the bands listed, maybe I don't! :lmao:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I don't understand sub-genres....I don't like to pigeon-hole music. I know what I like and most times don't know or care which genre it falls into.

What do some of them mean? What's "crossover prog", "neo-prog", "rock in opposition", "math rock", "space rock"? Who comes up with these genres? Why do we need so many? I've never heard of them!

Sorry, Joe, but I just find it all too confusing! :rolleyes: :D

It's actually a quite simple method of giving bands an assignment of a sub-genre in order to get a basic idea of what that bands over all musical tendencies are. Someone says Heavy Prog, Electric Prog, Jazz Fusion etc etc I know what kind of musical tendencies to expect from said band and if I MIGHT like them or not if I understand what musical styles I am more incline to be drawn toward.

It is sometimes not that effective in describing certain bands but overall I find it quite effective in enabling me to find bands that I might be interested in.

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
^^^No need to apologize. Thanx for posting your opinion. It is somewhat overwhelming and complex. I had some misgivings about posting this poll as I thought it might be to in depth.

With that being said, for me and for others who are ardent in the progressive rock realm it's not confusing and so complicated. It's like anything that people have a certain passion for, with that comes more involvement, attention to detail, more complex thought and a whole "new language" attached to that passion.

The other day I went out to fly a kite in the park. There were a couple of other people flying these fancy kites and performing different types of tricks."Wow", I said to myself, pretty cool. This one guy comes over and starts talking to me about different types of kites, techniques, and words I had never heard before. Real nice guy but I wasn't into kite flying as much as he was. I was just happy flying my "ordinary" kite.:D

I hope that I don't come across as arrogant or having that 'elitist' attitude. I'm just a joe six pack type of guy who enjoys progressive rock.

Anyway I'm off to watch some hockey.

Oh yeah, doesn't everything in society have a label(s).:think:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
^^ It is just a fact of life in the world we live in. We label things in order to make things we are seeking out more readily available to us and to be better able to communicate our ideas, desires etc . You can't ask for something if you can not give a good detailed description of it. I mean you can..... but the other person is much more likely not to understand what you are going on about.

With a readily available terminology on hand we can tell each other exactly what we mean more times then not if the other people you are speaking with are familiar with and understand that terminology .

Again, I find it to be a useful tool in ALL walks of life though I am not always familiar with the terminology of various trades, sports, hobbies etc. However if I have enough interest I will learn. If not I have no need for the vocabulary and my lack of interest will override my curiosity.

joe

Reaction score
It's actually a quite simple method of giving bands an assignment of a sub-genre in order to get a basic idea of what that bands over all musical tendencies are. Someone says Heavy Prog, Electric Prog, Jazz Fusion etc etc I know what kind of musical tendencies to expect from said band and if I MIGHT like them or not if I understand what musical styles I am more incline to be drawn toward.

It is sometimes not that effective in describing certain bands but overall I find it quite effective in enabling me to find bands that I might be interested in.

Great explanation DKW. Better equated than mine.:grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
^^ It is just a fact of life in the world we live in. We label things in order to make things we are seeking out more readily available to us and to be better able to communicate our ideas, desires etc . You can't ask for something if you can not give a good detailed description of it. I mean you can..... but the other person is much more likely not to understand what you are going on about.

With a readily available terminology on hand we can tell each other exactly what we mean more times then not if the other people you are speaking with are familiar with and understand that terminology .

Again, I find it to be a useful tool in ALL walks of life though I am not always familiar with the terminology of various trades, sports, hobbies etc. However if I have enough interest I will learn. If not I have no need for the vocabulary and my lack of interest will override my curiosity.

Exactly:tup:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online