The Sub-Genres of Progressive Rock.

Select up to four of your favourite progressive rock sub-genres.

• Canterbury Scene

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Crossover Prog

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Eclectic Prog

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Experimental/Post Metal

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Heavy Prog

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Jazz Rock/Fusion

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Krautrock

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Neo-Prog

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Post Rock/Math Rock

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Prog Folk

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Progressive Electronic

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Progressive Metal

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Psychedelic/Space Rock

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • RIO/Avant Prog

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Rock Progressivo Italiano

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Symphonic Prog

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Zeuhl

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

joe

Reaction score
Feel free to choose as many as you like.:grinthumb

After all most of us live in a capitalistic and a democractic society.

I'm voting for all except two.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Symphonic
Space/Psychedelic
Metal
Hard Rock

If I could have chosen a 5th? Cross Over :grinthumb

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I voted Symphonic Prog, Psychedelic/Space Rock, Heavy and Eclectic Prog.
I would have voted for Progressive Metal, Tech/Extreme Prog Metal,Canterbury Scene and Jazz Fusion if I was able to at that time. Love Italiano too ..

to be honest I like atleast a couple bands in all the sub-genres.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
O.K. I'm with Snowblue as being confused about genres but I'm not thinking that's a bad thing. Personally I come into a forum to learn more about what I don't know and I think with your knowledge, DKW and Joe, that I could learn that I actually know a band or two from most of these genres which would help me define how to find more of them. For example, since The Decemberist are a Prog/Folk band I know I'm voting for them. That ones kind of obvious but some of them confuse me.

Why does Mars Volta fall into heavy prog? I know their music is heavy but they are also very experimental! I mean some of their stuff is really out there sacrificing being aesthetically pleasant for sounds that even make the listener uncomfortable. Very weird stuff! So what crosses the line into Experimental Post/Metal where Tool ends up as I thought prog was automatically experimental with changes and such. Even my idea of pro is basically longer songs with lots of changes and experimental noise/ambiance. Also, what makes Miles Davis and Santana Jazz Rock as opposed to plain Jazz. Seeing the names makes me want to vote for that as well but I want to know why I'm voting as well. I think I understand Santanas placement more than Miles Davis but I only recently heard Miles Davis. Is he a little more eccentric than regular Jazz?

I hope that wasn't to much thrown in at once but I feel this thread could be very educational and by the end instead of being confused we could all learn enough to vote like we're scholars in this! :grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I like gear from all the choices Joe, but I picked out 4 that contain bands that I have listened to, collected and followed in depth.
No real order.
Heavy Prog
Folk Prog
Symphonic Prog
Psychedelic/Space Rock

joe

Reaction score
Hey Soot,

All good questions. I'll try and answer them from what I know.

First of all, I stated in the opening that most artists can be defined by more than one sub-genre as their influences can include a wide range of different music. Sub-genres are a classification and are more of a guideline as to a definitive categoricalness. With that, an artist placed in a sub-genre best represents it's musical composition and structure. Again, it can and will be argued which for me I find interesting and a fun conversation.

Your example of The Mars Volta and the conclusions you have attained are pretty much bang on IMO. Absolutely there is experimentation of jazz as well as psychedelia combining it with an overall hard rock approach. Ya, I guess you could also place them in the experimental/post metal sub-genre. I have no argument about that. There again there is no strict rule to where an artist can be placed.

Jazz rock fusion artists have elements of progressive rock in thier music. Basically a mixture of jazz improvisation with the power and rhythm of rock. A lot of the bands from the Canterbury Scene also incorporate jazz. Again there is differences between jazz rock fusion as to other sub-genres of jazz like contemporary jazz. I'm sure you can hear the difference between Diana Krall and Miles Davis. I'm not being sarcastic as I'm just giving you an example.

I hope this helps. I'm no expert and I tried to keep my explanations simple as possible.

joe

Reaction score
Soot: I can barely keep my eyes open. Feel free to ask anything you like and I'll respond back tomorrow.:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I don't take offense about the Dianne Krall comment Joe! Sometimes putting a big contrast in front of someone is the best way to make someone get something. Like I instantly thought "Hey Miles is nothing like Kenny G either! Thank God!" :D So yeah, there are some fine lines between regular Jazz, Jazz Fusion and Elevator Jazz! :heheh: I guess the best way to learn would be to see if I'm correct when hearing what I think is progressive myself. One of my favorite groups period South FM I swear has elements of Crossover Prog. This is not an easy group to portray as there are only a handle of tracks to listen to period but I'll try to give you some examples and maybe you can tell me whether they feel prog at all, somewhat prog oriented or not prog influenced at all?

A lot of members I associate with musically here have heard this one so I apologize for the repeated exposure but this is the best example youtube has of what I think is Prog affiliated:

South FM-Vesica Pisces

South FM-Regret
(Right from the weird intro I feel for what was to be a single for them it's definitely a prog feel to me though a polished prog)

South FM-Killing Me

I get the feel more from listening to the albums and how the deeper cuts are a lot weirder in how they transition from song to song and how they play with verse and chorus structures within the song. They also have a lot of organic noise like a Mars Volta to end songs or be layered within. All things I think prog uses. Anyway, for this band this is the best I could give you in this thread. Curious how far off I am and whether or not there is something in the realm of prog similar to these guys because I love their sound!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I voted for all but 4 categories on Joe's list, I am definitely a "Proggy Fan"...:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online