The Stranglers (Official Thread)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Official Website

Hmm well, I thought it would be good to make a thread for this band. I was pretty hard on them in another thread cause there's a particular Ray Davies song that I didn't care much for when they did it and had a big hit out of it.

Well anyway I only have their Greatest Hits 1977-1990 album and it'll be that I'll work from.

What's interesting about The Stranglers is in the 70s they were a Punk band and had Top 10 hits in 1977 with "Peaches", "Something Better Change" & "No More Heroes". My favourite of them three being "No More Heroes" simply by how the song opens with the Guitar and Drums, it sounds amazing. "Peaches" actually does nothing for me and I tend to skip over it & "Something Better Change" is a bit better and can listen to it.

"Walk On By" is one of those known songs which was a hit song in the past for a lady whose name I'm forgotten! :( The Song is one of many songs which Hal David and Burt Bacharach wrote though and in terms of what version I heard first, it was the Stranglers version on this album, which a Top 30 Hit in 1978 for the Stranglers. What's interesting about this is it's almost like The Stranglers wanted a song simular to The Doors doing their extended version of "Light My Fire", cause the song just comes across as very simular and of simular length.

The last kinda Punkish song on that album being "Duchess" which was a Top 20 song in 1979.

In the 80s The Stranglers took on a slightly different approach to their music and the result was a big hit song with "Golden Brown" which got to number 2 in 1981. Personally I feel their music between 1981 and 1986 is perhaps the most interesting and even when I listen to it today, it sounds quite good and to me doesn't show a lot of that heavy 80s influence you hear in typical 80s music. "Golden Brown" could have been done in the 60s for instance - could be wrong in that assumption, though it just sounds like a straight-foward song. After that came "Strange Little Girl", "European Female", "Skin Deep", "No Mercy", "Nice in Nice", "Always The Sun" & "Big In America" which sound more complicated than "Golden Brown", though have a certain kind of flare which I find appealing. After their big hit with "All Day and All Of The Night" which I didn't really find appealing, comes "96 Tears" which is fine, though sounds a bit different to some of their earlier 80s music and by 1990 they were transforming their sound to go with the times, just like they did when the 80s arrived.

Discography

Rattus Norvegicus (1977)
No More Heroes (1977)
Black and White (1978)
The Raven (1979)
The Gospel According to the Meninblack (1981)
La Folie (1981)
Feline (1983)
Aural Sculpture (1984)
Dreamtime (1986)
10 (1990)
Stranglers In the Night (1992)
About Time (1995)
Written in Red (1997)
Coup de Grace (1998)
Norfolk Coast (2004)
Suite XVI (2006)
Giants (2012)

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Stranglers

Nice OP CP/M, I am not a big fan of the Stranglers, but I might have to Find a copy of the album you mentioned and revisit them.:D

I am thinking it was Dionne Warwick who recorded "Walk on By"...but that is going way way back for me.

Last edited:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Lord Grendel wrote:

Nice OP CP/M, I am not a big fan of the Stranglers, but I might have to Find a copy of the album you mentioned and revisit them.:D

Yeah I'm not sure which chapter of the Stranglers music you'd find more appealing, for me their 80s stuff is best even though I don't mind their odd 70s punk song either.

Some YouTubes should sort this out:

Always the Sun

Something Better Change

No More Heroes

Walk On By

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I'll check them out tomorrow morning buddy, I am seeing double now been on too long.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't know this group. They must not have been promoted in the US too much. I will check them out later, I am on the daughter's laptop and she gets angry if I put "MY" music on her PC lol

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Magic wrote:

I don't know this group. They must not have been promoted in the US too much. I will check them out later, I am on the daughter's laptop and she gets angry if I put "MY" music on her PC lol

That doesn't suprise me Magic because The Stranglers did not have any impact in America - yes they had a song called "Big In America" though they were a UK based group which were only successful in the UK and across Europe - though in Australia I think they might of had some success here cause I've heard "Golden Brown", "Strange Little Girl", "European Female" & "Always The Sun" on the radio. :D

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Brilliant, brilliant band the thumping bass, incredible keyboards everyone bopping and singing just great live..

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

i have No More Heroes and Black and White by this band. first heard of them by hearing Golden Brown during the film Snatch and realized i needed to check them out. im glad i did because they are a great band :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

I remember hearing Golden Brown when I was a kid and thinking 'what a tune!' They've certainly done some cracking stuff!

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

i have No More Heroes and Black and White by this band. first heard of them by hearing Golden Brown during the film Snatch and realized i needed to check them out. im glad i did because they are a great band :grinthumb

Too right...my older brother bought "No More Heroes" in the 70`s I heard that and was hooked. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online