The Stranglers (Official Thread)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: The Stranglers

^^ Top tune Sunny. The Stranglers did some great songs, here's another fave of mine. :grinthumb

"Strange Little Girl"

MottTheWot

Reaction score
The Stranglers are greatly underrated and often ignored when it comes to the late 70's punk/new wave movement yet they are the most successful and possibly the best of them all. The first 3 albums are incredibly good, they are aggressive, melodic, catchy and they have a feel about them that could make your average Elton John fan dry reach. Both Cornwell and JJ Burnel spat out the vocals along with the wizardry of Dave Greenfield's keyboards, although Doors like at times they often surpass their predecessors. They were also wise enough to know that the punk thing would be short lived and they began experimentation beginning with the Black & White album culminating in a mini masterpiece that is The Raven. The 80's saw them mellow in attitude and they didn't take as many risks, this saw a decline in creativity and eventually the loss of Hugh Cornwell as a band member. They continue today and their last 3 studio albums are very enjoyable, Suite 16 being a particular favourite. The Stranglers are an important part of 70's/80's rock history and that debut album Rattus Norvegicus is as equally important as Never Mind The Bollocks and the first Clash album.
Best songs are : Not easy to do as they have so many...
Hanging Around
Get A Grip On Yourself
Down In The Sewer
No More Heroes
Something Better Change
Straighten Out
Toiler On The Sea
The Raven
Baroque Bordello
Relentless

Marbles

Reaction score
For a good trawl through the past thirty years of The Stranglers hits I would recommend the DVD & CD pack "Live At The Apollo", filmed in 2010 at the Hammersmith Apollo (formerly Odeon).

Then again, I may be biased as I was in the audience!

Dan

Reaction score
This bands early stuff is some of the best punk rock you will ever hear. With great angry lyrics "stick my fingers right up your nose" to really make you want to rant along.
In fact I reckon they are up there with the ramones and pistols in legacy but hardly anyone gives them the credit they deserve.
Later they realised that more money could be made singing pop songs(which they are really good at). I do like the songs but i do think this bands real legacy is the unrivalled punk period.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I saw them in 1977, and to this day, it's one of the best live gigs I've ever seen. At that time they had only released 'iv Rattus Norvegicus' -a truly great album, which I don't think they ever bettered. I never really saw them as 'punk', just four musicians playing fantastic music. They never made any secret of the Doors influence. I guess my favourite track would be 'Hanging Around'.

mich

Reaction score
I saw them in London in 1977 at a pub gig and I thought they were firing then. Then again I saw them in Melbourne around 1986 or something. Now Hugh Cornwell is gone they arent as good. I really dig Black & White. Probably my favourite album from them.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online