The Soundtrack of My Senior Year

Reaction score
The 5, possibly 6.. maybe even 7, bands that define(currently and for the rest of the year) my senior year of high school.. These 5, 6, or 7 are the ones that are matching up with my thoughts, feelings, and vibe of my year, and are what is being blared far, far too loud from my speakers.. So, I'll post my list, and the rest of you post and/or discuss the 3+ bands that defined your senior year, at the time, or the ones that sum up your memories.:)

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
The Clash
Sheryl Crow
Blues Traveler
Dire Straits

*And the 3(I lied, make that 8 groups) bonus groups*
The Outlaws
Alanis Morrisette
Little Feat

The Heartbreakers had become.. well.. you can read my story hear, http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f6/official-tom-petty-thread-4574/

The Clash, I listened to tons, in 7th grade, and I recently gave my London Calling and S/T CD's another spin and fell in love once again.. It's punk rock, and a vicious assault of in your face rock n roll, but it's catchy and not too abrasive(for the most part, it wouldn't be right if it wasn't a tad abrasive:D)
We Also have a great Clash thread
Here: http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f47/clash-3849/

Sheryl Crow, I couldn't think of what the name of the song I was thinking of was.. It turned out to be "Every Day Is A Winding Road" But, damn it, that was killing me for a good 3 weeks.. My search for the name of the song I had like 2 lyrics from, and half a melody in my head, is what re-sparked my interest in Alanis Morrisette too:heheh:
Alanis thread here, none for Sheryl, as of right now.
Alanis is Here: http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f8/alanis-morissette-7964/

Blues Traveler, I've had the CD Four, actually I think my dad bought it when it came out, not sure, but I've always liked that CD and figured why not try out their first 2 albums.. I heard "But Anyway" and the rest is history.
Great thread for BT here: http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f8/blues-traveler-9616/

Dire Straits, I had "Walk Of Life" stuck in my head, aside from that song and a few others, I'd never really liked DS, but I dug out my dad's "Money For Nothing" CD, and found "Twistin' By the Pool" and reaffirmed my love for the song "Romeo and Juliet," then I listened to their first album and fell in love, even though I'm still damn sick of "Sultans Of Swing" I also have Brothers In Arms and I assure you that my Dire Straits collection will continue to grow:grinthumb
A Nice Dire Straits thread here too: http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f6/dire-straits-186/

The Outlaws, I've loved them for a while now, since about 8th grade.. Great guitars, many guitars, great band overall.. I love the harmonies, not much more to say other than absolutely amazing:D
No thread for them currently!

Little Feat, I can thank LG for my new found love of most of their material, and my reaffirmed love for the material I liked before:heheh:
I liked some songs like Oh Atlanta, Dixie Chicken and so on, when I first heard them, but LG's thread got me back into them, a lot.. Rock n Roll with a southern tinge with some boogie and groove, can't have much of a better combo IMO:grinthumb
The thread that did it:)heheh:)is here: http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f6/little-feat-3803/

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Love your set, dude. Petty's my 2nd favorite artist of all-time and I'm crazy for Alanis and Sheryl.

Anyway... my senior year, huh? My senior year was a ****ing crazy ass time and I do not like the person I was back then. But here's what defined me and racked up the most spins at that time...

Neutral Milk Hotel... Call it puppy love. I was spending pretty much all my time with this one chick and every one of this band's songs seemed to be about her. They still remind me of her sometimes, but thank god I've mostly purged her from their depths, because these songs are way too good to be associated with my senior year of highschool.

Regina Spektor... Pretty much the same deal. Except with Reggie, shit wasn't as heavy. I actually remember some of the good times with Regina's music, like the time we kept singing Chemo Limo as we wandered the streets all night on lsd. Spektor isn't someone I kept listening to with as much consistency as NMH, so I really can't hear her without being reminded of senior year and early college.

I'm vaguely more fond of who I was my junior year. That was Neil Young, Petty, and Nirvana. Or even my first semester of college, which was Pantera, Metallica, GNR and GG Allin.

Reaction score
That's sounds a tad crazy for me:heheh:
But bump Petty up to #1 on your list, you won't regret it..:tongue::heheh:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
That's sounds a tad crazy for me:heheh:
But bump Petty up to #1 on your list, you won't regret it..:tongue::heheh:

Dude, I could stop listening to Neil Young right now and listen to Petty 24/7 for the rest of my life... Nobody will ever beat Neil Young at the top of my favorites list. His body of work and sphere of influence in my life has been beyond comprehensive... not to mention beyond comprehension.

rtbuck

Reaction score
Wow, This is tougher than I thought! I really have to jolt my memory here...

I thought this was going to be simple because Kiss, Cooper, Aerosmith, Stones, Nugent, AC/DC,...etc ruled my teen years in the late 70's & no band meant more to me than Kiss but I graduated in the Class of '80/'81 & at that point I was a bit frustrated with Kiss's direction. Bon Scott was dead, I was also losing interest in Aerosmith after Perry left, & I wasn't too pleased at the time with Nugent's Intensities in Ten Cities album.

I would have to say Senior Year for me would be:

The Rolling Stones Back then the Stones could do no wrong for me & I really loved the Emotional Rescue album. I thought the album rocked with tunes like "Summer Romance", "Where the Boys Go", & "Let Me Go". Every album stood out for me on the album

Alice Cooper I was riding high on Cooper after '79's 'From the Inside' & in '80 'Flush the Fashion' came out & it was different with a more new wave style but I loved it...Keeping Cooper at the top of my list

The Doors I was heavy into the Doors in my Senior year. They had come out of nowhere. I had heard "LA Woman" on the radio & thought it was great so I bought the double compilation "Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine". I was pretty blown away by it & then I had heard the Live version of Roadhouse Blues on the radio & I really became hooked. In my Senior Year Danny Sugarman's book "No One Here Gets Out Alive" came out & that book further hooked me into the Doors.

Max Webster
I seen Max Webster open for Rush & instantly became a fan. Even though they split up that year they were a band I really was into at that time.

I still liked Kiss & listened to them & other bands I was into at the time were Pat travers, Frank Marino, Foreigner, Kansas, Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Blue Oyster Cult, & Black Sabbath

Death on Credit

Reaction score
A fairly large amount of my time during senior year in high school was spent high as a kite on LSD. So, acid rock bands pretty much dominated my listening at the time.

The Beatles: It seems odd to me now that I used to love the Beatles so much. Part of the reason that I can't listen to them now is that they meant so much to me back then. They symbolize an era for me, right before everything went to shit. I quoted Beatles songs when I broke up with my girlfriend, and me and my friend would spend hours analyzing what their songs meant to us. Now I can't stand 'em.

Jefferson Airplane: Another band I don't listen to much anymore, but for entirely different reasons. Simply put, they just don't sound good when you're sober. But back then, my life revolved around 'White Rabbit'.

Jimi Hendrix: In senior year, I switched from a leather jacket wearing punk to a white Jimi Hendrix (strictly speaking about looks here). I could have listened to his cover of 'All Along the Watchtower' on repeat for days...probably still can. The weird thing is, I listened to Jimi constantly, but it wasn't until the last year that I actually familiarized myself with his albums. It was all 'Watchtower', 'Purple Haze', 'Hey Joe', 'Voodoo Child', '1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)' (the best acid rock song in history, by the way), and 'Spanish Castle Magic' back then.

Love: Forever Changes was my favorite album once upon a time. It was Sgt Pepper's for people who didn't think that all you needed was love. It had all the whimsical flairs of Pepper's, but the lyrics had very morose and cynical undertones, which made it far more appealing to me. Still is.

Bob Dylan: I don't listen to much Dylan anymore, but it has nothing to do with my affection for him dropping. His songs are so deeply ingrained into my psyche that I don't really need to listen to him all that much. He was revolutionary for me at the time; he won the war and stays in the backdrop now. 80% of what I listened to in high school was probably Bob Dylan.

Reaction score
Very cool lists, Bucky and DOC:grinthumb

My year sounds more like RTbuck's.. My dad would MURDER me if my year was like yours DOC and AAG:heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Senior year.......gosh that is a very long time ago. I know what I was doing that year, a lot of partying. I had already moved out of my parents house and had 3 roommates, all girls, and we all liked to 'role play' ourselves as these high as a kite musicians and make up crazy lyrics and stuff like that.

I would have to say the bands that defined my attitude my senior year was Rush and Pink Floyd. (this is what the stoner's liked, including myself) :grinthumb

The band that I rocked to was Aerosmith. Toys in the Attic, Rocks, and Draw the Line were extremely overplayed by me. Not to mention Live! Bootleg had just came out and everyone I knew was playing that album like it was something to worship.

Southern Rock became a huge fascination in the latter part of my senior year, mainly after my spring break trip to Florida. I can remember everyone cruising the beaches blaring Blackfoot "Strikes" album. Also the Cars were hot at this time, too. You weren't normal if you didn't crank up "Moving in Stereo".........

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Very cool lists, Bucky and DOC:grinthumb

My year sounds more like RTbuck's.. My dad would MURDER me if my year was like yours DOC and AAG:heheh:

Well, at that time, my dad wasn't exactly in a place to say anything. On a typical saturday night, me and my friends would be sprawled around the living room 8 miles high (or, alternatively, me and my girlfriend would be 8 miles high and fooling around very loudly), and my dad would be in his room smoking crack.

In retrospect, I wish that I had done more to really help my dad, because naturally, things got dark very, very quickly, though. And it all ended with me sitting alone in New Mexico for the last 2 years. There were some very good times in there, though. Junior year was a lot better.

rtbuck

Reaction score
My Senior year.......gosh that is a very long time ago. I know what I was doing that year, a lot of partying. I had already moved out of my parents house and had 3 roommates, all girls, and we all liked to 'role play' ourselves as these high as a kite musicians and make up crazy lyrics and stuff like that.

I would have to say the bands that defined my attitude my senior year was Rush and Pink Floyd. (this is what the stoner's liked, including myself) :grinthumb

The band that I rocked to was Aerosmith. Toys in the Attic, Rocks, and Draw the Line were extremely overplayed by me. Not to mention Live! Bootleg had just came out and everyone I knew was playing that album like it was something to worship.

Southern Rock became a huge fascination in the latter part of my senior year, mainly after my spring break trip to Florida. I can remember everyone cruising the beaches blaring Blackfoot "Strikes" album. Also the Cars were hot at this time, too. You weren't normal if you didn't crank up "Moving in Stereo".........

I really loved 'Live Bootleg' when it came out. I had just discovered what a bootleg album was after getting a "Rare Live Album" catalog from the classified section of Circus magazine so when Aerosmith came out with Live Bootleg it really blew me away especially "I Ain't Got You" & "Mother Popcorn"

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.