The Soundtrack of My Senior Year

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice thread EB...:D

I won't wax as eloquent as Magic and Bucky but here are 5 bands that were very popular when I was in my graduation year.

Bob Seger
Peter Framton
Supertramp
Heart
Steve Miller

Those are 5 that come to mind, my Rich friends had most of their albums on 8 Tracks so that is my litmus test of the music we partied to more than anything else.:rock:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I really loved 'Live Bootleg' when it came out. I had just discovered what a bootleg album was after getting a "Rare Live Album" catalog from the classified section of Circus magazine so when Aerosmith came out with Live Bootleg it really blew me away especially "I Ain't Got You" & "Mother Popcorn"

When Aerosmith released Live! Bootleg, I can remember having a conversation with my friends about what the hell a bootleg was. Before any of us had bought the album, we thought it was going to be material we hadn't heard before, or maybe screw ups in the recording studio or something. I think Aerosmith's record label, Columbia Records, began a trend with that album to boost sales in a major way. If I am not mistaken, that album was one of Aerosmith's biggest sellers...............Which translated into big dollars and a trend for bands to start making Live albums and bootlegs.

Frampton is another one on this Live album trend.........Frampton Comes Alive, which was also an album which was big my senior year, is his best seller.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Those are 5 that come to mind, my Rich friends had most of their albums on 8 Tracks so that is my litmus test of the music we partied to more than anything else.:rock:

8 tracks was another really cool thing about my high school years. 8 Tracks had been out for a while, but it meant you could easily take your music with you in the car..................

rtbuck

Reaction score
When Aerosmith released Live! Bootleg, I can remember having a conversation with my friends about what the hell a bootleg was. Before any of us had bought the album, we thought it was going to be material we hadn't heard before, or maybe screw ups in the recording studio or something. I think Aerosmith's record label, Columbia Records, began a trend with that album to boost sales in a major way. If I am not mistaken, that album was one of Aerosmith's biggest sellers...............Which translated into big dollars and a trend for bands to start making Live albums and bootlegs.

Frampton is another one on this Live album trend.........Frampton Comes Alive, which was also an album which was big my senior year, is his best seller.

Yeah the whole bootleg thing was so strange to me. I didn't know what a bootleg really was & when I got that 'Rare Live Recording' catalog I couldn't believe my eyes looking at all of these records of concerts. I was in heaven & had no idea what a bootleg was! I ordered a double Kiss record called 'Kiss Takes Tokyo' & when the album came in the mail I was shocked at first with a plain white cover & a piece of paper with a kiss picture & the song titles. Then I pulled out the record & the label said "Dragonfly Records presents the Sounds of the 60's"! What the hell was this???!!!?? I put the record on & it was Kiss. The sound quality was not what I expected but I loved it. Shortly after I discovered a Ma & Pa record shop that had a small section of these "Rare Live" records & one of the first ones I bought from there was Aerosmith 'Look Homeward Angel' from 1975. So later when Aerosmith 'Live Bootleg' came out I understood what it was all about. I never really knew that bands didn't receive royalties from these until a little later after that record shop got busted

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Eberg, Senior year was a great year for me musically. It wasn't my year of discovery but it was my year of advancing it once I found my musical footing. I knew who I was musically and had starting finding the muswic obsessed freaks and having a league of friends to discuss music with and learn from. I joined a music class for the first time in Chorus. It was then that not only was I introduced to classics like Simon and Garfunkel from the class (we sung Sounds of Silence and Bridge Over Troubled Water) but my three friends discovered Ben Folds Five all at the same time and we were all discussing how cool Brick was at the time in class. I ended up being the long term fan of the three of us but I remember that specifically.

Also, I had my top two songs defined musically as The Smashing Pumpkins-Mayonaise and Fiona Apple-Never Is A Promise and did a written project on them. I discovered I like writing songs myself and actually wrote lyrics for a song and worked out the sound with my friend who played bass and I performed the vocals on it. I also towards the end of the year discovered The New Radicals which became my favorite pop artist ever to this day.

I was doing art of my favorite artist-The Smashing Pumpkins, Tori Amos and Fiona Apple and was hitting a creative streak artistically painting them in various colors. Senior year was the first year I enjoyed High School and it was a peak year for me as I branched out more adding as many classic rock artist as I could maintain (The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, etc.) to even appreciating New Age (Enya because of my art teacher) and country (I really liked Garth Brooks).

So in that rant I hope I gave you a good picture of things! :grinthumb

Reaction score
I want to hear this song you recorded, Sooty!:grinthumb

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Whenever I listen to these songs I think of my senior year in high school;

I Love You 'Cause I Have To - Dogs Die In Hot Cars
The End Of The World - The Cure
Never Let Me Down Again - Smashing Pumpkins
Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
First Of The Gang To Die - Morrisey
Ride - The Vines

the_spore

God Emperor
Reaction score
The most artists I played during my senior were Zeppelin, Rush, Daft Punk, Human League, and OMD.

I spent the entirety of my freshman, sophomore, and junior years listening to Classic Rock. I began to dip my paws into other genres during my senior year.

The albums I played the life out of during my senior were Rush's "Moving Pictures", every album by Zeppelin, Daft Punk's "Alive 2007", and CKY's "Infiltrate•Destroy•Rebuild".

My love for John Lennon's solo career began to rekindle during my senior year as well.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online