The Rolling Stones (Official Thread)

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Yes..i wouldn't go and see the Stones in a big venue anymore. Recently Dylan and Young played Kilkenny. Bob was 'Captain Croak' and folks went home.
Neil Young however was on fire and the Bigsby wammy bar was flapping like bees wings.
Only Daltrey has an original type voice...Gillan was struggling last time i saw him..and Rod the Mod- forget it.
Mind you- on the subject, Keith has supposed to have given the vodka and booze the old heave-** and his playing is spot on.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Certainly...both the Stones and Yardbirds were cut from the very same nitty gritty Blues cloth..for the same reason,Dreja was nearly a fifth Led Zep member....

E-Z

Reaction score
I had a closer listen to the Black And Blue album a few days ago as I had never really listened to it properly before and the tracks that caught my ears were Hot Stuff, Hand of Fate & Fool to Cry although I suppose Memory Motel did as well. Cherry Oh Baby is a Stones reggae number and Hey Negrita is pretty average I thought?. The last song on the album/cd Crazy Mama which I presume was a 'throw away' song that was recorded to fill the album out on vinyl was in fact a pretty good fast rocker to finish off the album with which I quite enjoyed.

I believe this album is known by Keith as 'the guitarists album' where a number of guitar pickers were tried out to fill the place of the departed Mick Taylor including Harvey 'the snake' Mandel, Ronnie Wood, Rory Gallagher amongst a few other names short listed.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Nice one E-Z and some nice work from Wayne Perkins also. I went to see the Dartford Deltas at Earls Court in '76 and they did virtually the whole album...the sound was shit..bouncing around the gaff!
Mick said "sorry"...and blamed the venue..maybe that gig that Keith lost his cool at the use of a click machine..that he dispensed with fairly rapid.
That night he pranged his Blue Lena going home i believe...
Play It Rough.( Slave on Tattoo You.)

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
Nice one E-Z and some nice work from Wayne Perkins also. I went to see the Dartford Deltas at Earls Court in '76 and they did virtually the whole album...the sound was shit..bouncing around the gaff!
Mick said "sorry"...and blamed the venue..maybe that gig that Keith lost his cool at the use of a click machine..that he dispensed with fairly rapid.
That night he pranged his Blue Lena going home i believe...Play It Rough.( Slave on Tattoo You.)
Yeah Wayne Perkins that's the dude I couldn't think of his surname he was one of the Muscle Shoal studio musicians and a pretty decent guitar picker in his own right. When Rory Gallagher died back in 1995 in one of the obituaries that I read the writer claimed that Rory was 'to good' a guitarist and a musician to be playing off Keith's guitar riffs plus on a human level of Rory being a 'Stone' he probably would have gotten along ok with Charlie & Bill but the other two I don't know Rory wasn't into drugs except drinking pints of Irish Guinness and with Keith being in his own world for a lot of the time on and off the road and I could imagine Mick being quite indifferent towards him possibly as well ha ha ha...

Another thing of interest regarding Rory Gallagher and the Rolling Stones was I read that when Rory was invited over to have a couple of days of jamming with the band in Germany I think(?) in 1975 and I have read that while jamming Rory developed the main guitar riff for Miss You which the Stones subsequently developed into a completed song that turned up on the Some Girl's album in 1978 although no mention of this is made of in the official writing and development of the song although Donal Gallagher Rory's brother has mentioned it in the past.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Indeed E-Z..they used several places to check out suitors for Mick Taylors spot..mainly it was MusicLand in Germany..and cut lots of Demos and Tryouts..Sugar Blue who was a Tubeway busker originally got the task of playing harp on Miss You. Ron and Keith were buddies before '75 and '76. Don't forget Ron put Keith up at the Wick for months and he had that 64 track studio and desk there. I've Got My Own Album To Do was aided by Keith...and Feel The Fire was swapped for It's Only Rock n Roll.
When Ron got the job..they headed to Montauk to 'bed' him in ..Andy Warhols gaff..i think.
( The Human Riffs plugs in with Ron and Rod..Tetsu is thinking:" i'm ******")

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
I read a few years ago that Keith still couldn't figure out why Mick Taylor quit the Stones?.

Tetsu Yamuchi (not sure if I spelt it correctly) bass player in Free 1972-73 and the Faces. I read an article on Tetsu late one night about 4-5 years ago of an interview that he gave back home in Japan mentioning that he was approached to join the re-formed Faces a few years ago but declined the offer because he claims basically that rock music is a young man's game and not for old men who are still trying to be teenagers again. Apparently he was a bass guitar tutor and did on rare occasions play pub gigs in Japan.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Tetsu was a sweet player...and pestered my Mom for a bass because of his Faces spell. Surely Keith knows why Mick left?..but i do know the Nose Candy was becoming a problem too. Dynamics obviously shift..
Bill's quote was best:."10 years of playing and 40 years hanging around".
(Love this- all about the treble..)
Rolling Stones - Citadel.

E-Z

Reaction score
Nai Noswad I am starting to think you have something to do with the music business?.

Getting back to the stones I read a few lines of a 1980 interview given by Mick Taylor saying that the reason why he left the band was that he wanted to concentrate on writing his own material and then went on to say some musicians are happy playing in a big named band and others wanted to establish themselves in there own right as a musician and a writer which is what he wanted to do or words to that effect?.

With reference to Tetsu the Free & Faces bass player back in the early 1970s I kind of admire his reason for not being a part of the reformed Faces reunion a few years ago by basically saying that rock music should be performed by younger people and not old guys trying to be young again or words to that effect?.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Staff online

Members online