Register to remove these ads

The Rolling Stones (Official Thread)

Discussion in '60's Music' started by METALPRIEST, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

That's a pretty cool version of Drift Away. I don't think I've ever heard that before,

2. That 70s Guy

That 70s Guy 3 dressed up as a 9 Staff Member

Here's another Stones outtake...

How could this not be used? C'Mon!!!

Nai Noswad likes this.
  3. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

From the days where the Ancient Art Of Weaving was born.

4. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

Anyone ever see the Stones in a club venue?
    The set list is unreal!

5. E-Z

E-Z Senior Member

'Zachariah' the first Electric Western 1971
    A personal opinion is that live album that they recorded back in 1975 or 1976 and put out in 1977 the Love You Live album is I think alright but nothing special as live albums go and I occasionally listen to it (maybe a couple of times a year?) but it could have been a lot better without side 3 on the vinyl album being devoted to the 'club gig' I would rather have kept it all recorded from a stadium gig plus the album opening number of Honky Tonk Women is slightly spoiled by the fan's clapping along to the song. Side 4 is my favourite side which from memory features It's Only Rock & Roll, Brown Sugar, Jumpin' Jack Flash & Sympathy For The Devil.

Ronnie has said in the past that side 3 of Love You Live his or was his favourite side. Keith I guess has possibly listened to the record a few thousand times in the past and Mick would have possibly thought it was a piece of record company product to give the fans and wouldn't have thought anymore about it and as for Charlie & Bill I don't know what those two would both say about the record to be honest?.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Nai Noswad likes this.
  6. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

E-Z. you have a very good point..not a fan of live albums...though Sympathy on Ya Ya's is bliss..cheeky buggers often say Dave Mason overdubbed on that in '69.
    In a small intimate venue, the Stones show their utter professionlism. Stadiums i stay away from those big gigs..what's with the new key changes?
    10 times i have seen the boys...Twickenham last time- Tumbling Dice was the best in the set list.
    Almost Hear You Sigh works well.
    I do recall Mick stopping the concert at Wembley and showing the soccer penalty shootout against Italy on the stage screen...the journey home was a bummer!
    I was lucky enough to catch the Stones with the ultimate wingmen lineup.

E-Z likes this.
  7. E-Z

E-Z Senior Member

Possibly the 'club gig' on side 3 of the Love You Live album is a favourite with many but I usually like 'stadium concert recordings' of bands. Yeah some rock fans aren't into 'live albums' but personally I have always enjoyed listening to live albums by many rock bands from the 1970s & 1980s.

When it comes to the Rolling Stones yeah Get Ya Ya's Out the late 1969 live album is there best but the 1981 Still Life album is a bit of a problem album for me because firstly it's rather short on running time from memory coming in at around 35+ minutes and I also don't like the song selection that much on the album except for Start Me Up and maybe Under My Thumb but I don't go much of there version of Just My Imagination which to me is a soul song and there are several other songs on the album that I am not to keen on either.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Nai Noswad likes this.
  8. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

E-Z i sometimes laugh..on the 1966 LP Got It Live....the comperè introduces "Billy Wyman"...before bursting into Under My Thumb.
    Still Life...yes the band came on stage to Take The A Train...the flip side on the 12" of Going To A Go Go..is a blistering version of Beast Of Burden.
    Fave live album: Rory Gallagher.

9. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

Some great past posts on here people..Claudine was a song that should have gotten full release. Glad this did- even though shunted to the B-side of She Was Hot.
    Rolling Stones - Think I'm Going Mad.

10. E-Z

E-Z Senior Member

I doubt very much if Rory Gallagher would have fitted in on a personal level with the band although he probably would have been ok with Charlie & Bill but I'm not sure about Mick & Keith and Rory wasn't into drugs or groupies either besides the opinion amongst those that know was that Rory was a better guitarist and musician to be playing with that bunch and obviously they made the right choice bringing Ronnie Wood in.

Nai Noswad likes this.