The Rolling Stones (Official Thread)

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
i love the 60's Stones, basically the Brian Jones era. Not for their swagger or their "bad boy" image or the debauchery stories. Not really for any of that. I love the music. The SONGS. That's what it all comes down to and that's what I love about the 60's Stones.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I was browsing in the magazine section at the grocery store this morning and almost fell over. I picked up the latest issue of GQ and there it was, three men on the cover and one of them was Keith Richards. KEITH RICHARDS IS ON THE COVER OF GQ MAGAZINE!!!!! I never thought I'd see the day.:omg:

Haaaa, looking good. :heheh:

gq-cover.jpg

Looks like he's been there before, too. (In England)

british-gq-october-2011-keith-richards.jpg

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
z10325142X.jpg

From Wiki
This tour [European Tour 1967] would also be the first time a rock band from the Western Hemisphere would play behind the Iron Curtain when on April 13 they played two shows at the Palace of Culture and Science building in Warsaw, Poland. The tickets to the concert were given out by the Communist Party much to the bands dismay. The people who did attend were told to behave accordingly during the concert or they would be removed from the venue. After the concerts, the band drove down the streets distributing their records to fans. Visiting Soviet officials were not pleased by the Rolling Stones performance and it would be a long while before the Stones would return to the soviet-bloc nations.

"They thought the show was so awful, so decadent, that they said this would never happen in Moscow,"-- Mick Jagger.

From another source.

15321_1392140921724_1178177901_1225614_3394455_n.jpg

Landing in Warsaw later that day, the Rolling Stones made an historic visit behind the Iron Curtain, the only rock band to do so during the height of the Cold War in the 1960s. The Stones were driven to the dull, gray Orbis-Europjski Hotel. Everybody was in and out of everyone else's room checking out who got the better digs. There was no television, the radio stations were jammed with interference, and dinner cost the band a small fortune.

During the morning before their two scheduled concerts, band members noticed each of them had agents tailing their every move. When they tried to exit the hotel, the Stones were surrounded and told to remain inside. Band management failed to notify the hotel about their press conference and had to bribe the hotel to allow the media event to proceed.

Arriving at the venue, the Stones were greeted with rioting in the streets because Polish Communist Party members had reserved all of the tickets for both performances. Eastern Bloc fans were assaulted by the police. The shows were good, but anyone who stood up to express their enjoyment during the concert was reprimanded by the police to sit quietly. This demonstration of force angered the Stones.

After the concerts, the Stones canvassed Warsaw streets for Polish fans to distribute all of the albums and singles they had as an apology.

There is also a rumour that Charlie Watts insisted to buy from the unchangeable-at-the-time-money vodka. It ended up with two railcars full of vodka.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
^ Interesting....good stuff, Nolo...

I guess The Rolling Stones were ''back in the USSR'', before The Beatles!

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
^^^ I read an article in Polish newspaper couple years ago about this concert and from what I remember their equipment (amplifiers I think) broke just few hours before the concert and they had to borrow from the local band, which they said it had to be Jagger himself to ask for it.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
^^^ I read an article in Polish newspaper couple years ago about this concert and from what I remember their equipment (amplifiers I think) broke just few hours before the concert and they had to borrow from the local band, which they said it had to be Jagger himself to ask for it.
THIS is why I love music other than itself...it's the side stories that pop up every now and then. The Watts vodka matter was worth a good laugh too. It was nice of the band to take to the streets to give away their records as such to the locals as a way to let them know that they are in their thoughts.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online