The Ramones (Official Thread)

ThinLizzyFan

Reaction score
Re: The Ramones

I have seen the Ramones over 20 times since in 1978...

RIP to some of the best in rock history...
by far some of the greatest shows ever...groundbreaking..magical

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

I think the brilliance of The Ramones was in their simplicity. They were, to me, the epitome of three-chord rock (punk or otherwise), and sometimes it seemed like only two chords. And from record to record they never strayed from their familiar trademark sound.

But with song titles like "Beat On The Brat", "The *** Took My Baby Away" and "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker" coupled with the fact that they were all shared the last name in "Ramone", they just seemed like such a fun band who, by design, didn't take themselves too seriously like the rest of their peer group. They were Spinal Tap before there even was a Spinal Tap. :grinthumb

I don't have a favorite album, but there are plenty of individual songs that are covered on the Hey ** Let's Go greatest hits album.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Yes, It's really snobbery to say Punk musicians can't play ...it's simple but it's old fashion rock and roll with The Ramones

elements of The Beach Boys
Ronnie Spector/Ronettes girlz groups
The Beatles (of course)

they were not jaded punksters...they had things to say but the weren't all anger and sneer /they left that to their British egos The Sex Pistols
and the serious anger and dismay to The Clash and The Boomtown Rats etc

They just wanted to rock out their way

YouTube - Ramones - Time has come today.

Attachments

• imagesCA4EU3DY.jpg
    imagesCA4EU3DY.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 67
  • imagesCADB6CYE.jpg
    imagesCADB6CYE.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 67
  • imagesCAULBIR5.jpg
    imagesCAULBIR5.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 67

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

...it's simple but it's old fashion rock and roll with The Ramones

they were not jaded punksters...they had things to say but the weren't all anger and sneer /they left that to their British egos The Sex Pistols
and the serious anger and dismay to The Clash and The Boomtown Rats etc

They just wanted to rock out their way

That's correct. Anger is not essential to punk. Stripped down good honest rock is the essential element.

:rock:

CREAM'd

Reaction score

I much prefer to listen to(or even better watch)the Ramones playing live,some of the performances on this dvd is amazing0349704832.JPG.:)

SHADOWEDINSHRED

High School Hippie
Reaction score

Ooooo... I love The Ramones!
Twenty, twenty, twenty four hours to go oh oh... I wanna be sedated!

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

:) I love these guys.

I nearly died when I learned that Russell Mael (Sparks) provided backing vocals on their "Pleasant Dreams" album, as well as Kate Pierson and Debby Harry. super awesome.

CREAM'd

Reaction score

Nothin' to do and no where to go o oh i wanna be sedated.
lol.

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score

I'm a big Ramones fan as well. I saw them in Nov. '78, opening up for Van Halen and Black Sabbath (which is really bizarre line-up, in retrospect....what a fantastic show that was!)

I got on a Ramones kick recently, and got the dvds RAMONES RAW, END OF THE CENTURY - the STORY OF THE RAMONES, and IT'S ALIVE, as well as re-reading Dee Dee' autobiography TEENAGE LOBOTOMY, all within a 2 week period. Hey **, Let's GO!

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

rtbuck said:
I heard an interview with Pete Townshend & he spoke highly of the Sex Pistols & Punk saying it brought the fun back to Rock & Roll. He said the Sex Pistols "Pretty Vacant" was the "My Generation" of this generation & then the 2 songs were played back to back & I really got into "Pretty Vacant" at that point.

:grinthumb

The Who were actually a proto punk band when they first started performing. They were a band for mods and "My Generation" became the anthem of the mods.

:rock:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online