The Ramones (Official Thread)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: The Ramones

I had wanted to see this band for years and when I got lucky they were better than I imagined a belting night just wish they were still around.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

The Ramones are probably my favorite punk band. It's close between them and the Clash.

Choice cut:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Well the Ramones are something else, saw them 3 times and I was sooo lucky to see them, got all their albums and compilations and stuff. You would not believe how good they are. I remember TOTP's when they played twice on the same show, yes twice. What a set of legends. I will meet them one day and jam with them........

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
The Ramones

Not sure if there is a thread but hey ** !! (sorry for the pun)

The Ramones were an American rock band that formed in Forest Hills, Queens, New York in 1974 and are often cited as the first punk rock group.Despite achieving only limited commercial success, the band was a major influence on the punk rock movement both in the United States and the United Kingdom.

All of the band members adopted pseudonyms ending with the surname "Ramone", though none of them were actually related. They performed 2,263 concerts, touring virtually nonstop for 22 years. In 1996, after a tour with the Lollapalooza music festival, the band played a farewell show and disbanded. By a little more than eight years after the breakup, the band's three founding members—lead singer Joey Ramone, guitarist Johnny Ramone, and bassist Dee Dee Ramone—had all died.

Their only record with enough U.S. sales to be certified gold was the compilation album Ramones Mania. Recognition of the band's importance built over the years, and they are now cited in many assessments of all-time great rock music, such as the Rolling Stone lists of the 50 Greatest Artists of All Time and VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock. In 2002, the Ramones were ranked the second-greatest band of all time by Spin magazine, trailing only The Beatles. On March 18, 2002, the Ramones—including the three founders and drummers Marky and Tommy Ramone—were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

One of if not the greatest bands imo, I had the privilege of seeing them 3 times and they were so good, I love their stylr and everything about them, there will never be another band like them.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

As a matter of fact we did have a Ramones thread Sweaty, no worries I have merged your new one into EB's old one.;)

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Yes, this is what I really say about any punk bands.... I hate it when I get in an argument with someone over it.. they will say "This band sucks, they can't play" my rebuttal will always be "they're not supposed to be able to play, its punk rock"

I lOVE this thread...I love The Ramones...!!

But beg to differ on the statement they can't play....He may not be Hendrix but Johhny can play the HELL out of the guitar ! ?:cheers2

With that said...

I love them alot..I'm sad to say I never saw them live !!

Their music was good loud clean rock n' roll !

Their influences of The Beatles, Motown..old school Beach Boys ..was heavily and cleverly infused into their music !

I love these :

Pet Sematary

Beat On The Brat

Rock N'Roll High School

I Believe In Miracles

The *** Took My Baby Away

Rockaway Beach

I Wanna be Your Boyfriend

Psycho Therapy

My Brains Are Hanging Upside Down...

Reaction score

I lOVE this thread...I love The Ramones...!!

But beg to differ on the statement they can't play....He may not be Hendrix but Johhny can play the HELL out of the guitar ! ?:cheers2

He makes what he does sound really freakin' good, but from a technical standpoint...:D

and I guess I worded that pretty badly... look at Television, those guys can sure play, but back to Ramones.. music that is just so beautifully simple

Here's a pretty cool, sort of early recording of Loudmouth:grinthumb

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

It's Fine Eberg..I KNEW what you meant

I get alot of my old school classic rockers trying to say Punk rockers couldn't play ..I could name a few bands where that's pretty true..so I agree THATS PUNK..but there was a rare few who could play

Johnny Ramone was locomotive arms :grinthumb

Attachments

• imagesCA4EU3DY.jpg
    imagesCA4EU3DY.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 40
  • imagesCADB6CYE.jpg
    imagesCADB6CYE.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 41
  • imagesCAULBIR5.jpg
    imagesCAULBIR5.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Johnny.jpg
    Johnny.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

rtbuck

Reaction score

Total agreement & I also hate when people say Punk artists can't play their instruments.

Back in the 70's when I was into all the hard Rock & Punk was coming in...if you were a fan of the hard rock/ metal scene the media seemed like it pushed you to say that Punk sucks & they can't play their instruments. Sadly, I began to fit in with that but 2 things changed me:

1) I was into the Who & one day I heard an interview with Pete Townshend & he spoke highly of the Sex Pistols & Punk saying it brought the fun back to Rock & Roll. He said the Sex Pistols "Pretty Vacant" was the "My Generation" of this generation & then the 2 songs were played back to back & I really got into "Pretty Vacant" at that point

2) A couple of years after trading the Ramones "Rocket to Russia" for Bad Company "Straight Shooter" I seen the 'Rock & Roll High School' Movie on Showtime or HBO & I really felt their energy especially with Johnny's style watching him strum a mile a minute without stopping.

After that I became one of the few in my area that was a fan of Hard Rock & Metal ... & the Punk & New Wave Movement. Even in 1986 there was still a problem with Metal vs Punk in my area as I went to see Motorhead & Wendy O Williams live & their were plenty of fights outside & inside the venue between the Metal Heads & the mowhawk heads. The strange thing was that at the time Williams was taking on a more metal approach & her album at that time was produced by Gene Simmons

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online