Subterranean Jungle (1983)
Too Tough to Die (1984)
Animal Boy (1986)
Halfway to Sanity (1987)
Brain Drain (1989)
Mondo Bizarro (1992)
Acid Eaters (1993)
¡Adios Amigos! (1995)

One of my favorite bands of all time, pure energy....

They were one of the first New York punks bands, and got the punk rock movement in America rolling. They started in 1974. Johnny Ramone on guitar, Dee Dee Ramone on bass (and possibly the only one that could count:tongue:), Joey Ramone on vocals, and Tommy Ramone on drums.

The Ramones recorded their debut album, Ramones, in February 1976. Of the fourteen songs on the album, the longest, "I Don't Wanna Go Down to the Basement", barely surpassed two-and-a-half minutes. While the songwriting credits were shared by the entire band, Dee Dee was the primary writer. The record, coproduced by Tommy and Craig Leon on an extremely low budget of about $6,400, was released in April. The now iconic front cover photograph of the band was taken by Roberta Bayley, who shot regularly for Punk magazine.

Ramones made little commercial impact, reaching only number 111 on the Billboard album chart. The two associated singles, "Blitzkrieg Bop" and "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend", failed to chart at all. At the band's first major gig outside of New York, a June date in Youngstown, Ohio, approximately ten people showed up. It wasn't until they made a brief tour of England that they began to see the fruits of their labor; a performance at The Roundhouse in London on July 4, 1976 (second-billed to the Flamin' Groovies), organized by Linda Stein, was a resounding success. Their Roundhouse appearance and a club date the following night—where the band met members of the Sex Pistols and The Clash—helped galvanize the burgeoning UK punk rock scene. The Flamin' Groovies/Ramones double bill was successfully reprised at The Roxy in Los Angeles the following month, fueling the punk scene there as well. The Ramones were becoming an increasingly popular live act—a Toronto performance in September energized yet another growing punk scene.

Tommy Ramone left in 1978 because he was tired of touring and the rock n roll lifestyle, Marky Ramone took over drums. He was originally in the band Dust. With the end of the 70s and the new drummer some their songs were beginning to get longer and a little bit poppier. their album Road to Ruin(one of their most widely known, especially with the movie "Rock n Roll Highschool" being released) was released in 1978.

After the release of Subterranean Jungle, Marky Ramone was fired from the band because of his alcoholism. He was replaced by Richard Reinhardt, who adopted the name Richie Ramone. The first album the Ramones recorded with Richie was Too Tough to Die in 1984, with Tommy Erdelyi returning as producer. The band's main release of 1985 was the British single "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg"; though it was available in the United States only as an import, it was played widely on American college radio. The song was written by Joey in protest of Ronald Reagan's visit to a German military cemetery where SS members were buried. Richie left in August 1987, upset that after being in the band for four years, the other members would still not give him a share of the money they made selling T-shirts. Richie was replaced by Clem Burke from Blondie, which was disbanded at the time. According to Johnny, the performances with Burke—who took on the name Elvis Ramone—were a disaster. He was fired after two shows because his drumming could not keep up with the rest of the band. Marky, now clean and sober, returned. After Marky's return, they recorded four more albums--Brain Drain, Mondo Bizzaro, Acid Eaters(all cover songs), and Adios Amigos. They broke up after Adios Amigos. On July 20, 1999, Dee Dee, Johnny, Joey, Tommy, Marky, and C.J. appeared together at the Virgin Megastore in New York City for an autograph signing. This was the last occasion on which the original four members of the group appeared together. Joey, who had been diagnosed with lymphoma in 1995, died of the illness on April 15, 2001, in New York. In 2002, the Ramones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which specifically named Dee Dee, Johnny, Joey, Tommy, and Marky. At the ceremony, the surviving inductees spoke on behalf of the band. Tommy spoke first, saying how honored the band felt, but how much it would have meant for Joey. Johnny thanked the band's fans and blessed George W. Bush and his presidency, Dee Dee humorously congratulated and thanked himself, while Marky thanked Tommy for influencing his drum style. Green Day played "Teenage Lobotomy" and "Blitzkrieg Bop" as a tribute, demonstrating the Ramones' continuing influence on later rock musicians. The ceremony was one of Dee Dee's last public appearances; on June 5, 2002, two months later, he was found at his Hollywood home, dead from a heroin overdose. End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones, a Ramones documentary, was released in theaters in 2004. Johnny, who had been privately battling prostate cancer, died on September 15, 2004, in Los Angeles, almost exactly as the film was released. The band had a lasting and impacting career, influenced soo many bands and people(including me), and made horrible in the greatest way music. Just punk rock. The ramones were and will always be the definition of punk rock, and no matter how many shitty bands copy them, they will always be the poster band for the American Punk movement.

so, discuss this band :cheers:

*some of this is copied directly from wikipedia and I in no way take credit for some of this writing :heheh:"

Last edited by a moderator:

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Re: The Ramones

I'm sorry that I never got to see the Ramones. I never got to CBGB's either ... :wa:

I enjoy their short, intense tunes with amusing lyrics ...

rtbuck

Reaction score

Good write up Eberg! Ramones are one of my favs. I seen them in 1991 not long after NY Dolls guitarist Johnny Thunders died. The reason I mentioned this is because of the song "Chinese Rocks" & the controversies over who wrote it(Dee Dee,Thunders,or Richard Hell).Anyway,Hamilton's Forgotten Rebels(one of my all-time favorite punk bands) opened the show & were entertaining & great as usual. The Ramones hit the stage & all it was was slam dancing & mosh pits all over the club's floor. We stood in the back & the band was great. I looked at my friends & said if they play "Chinese Rocks" were going in the pit as a tribute to Thunders. Sure Enough they played it towards the end of their set & we jumped in the pit.It was wild & fun until the lighting rig came down at the front of the stage.We just moved to the back & watched the rest of the show

Reaction score

Good write up Eberg! Ramones are one of my favs. I seen them in 1991 not long after NY Dolls guitarist Johnny Thunders died. The reason I mentioned this is because of the song "Chinese Rocks" & the controversies over who wrote it(Dee Dee,Thunders,or Richard Hell).Anyway,Hamilton's Forgotten Rebels(one of my all-time favorite punk bands) opened the show & were entertaining & great as usual. The Ramones hit the stage & all it was was slam dancing & mosh pits all over the club's floor. We stood in the back & the band was great. I looked at my friends & said if they play "Chinese Rocks" were going in the pit as a tribute to Thunders. Sure Enough they played it towards the end of their set & we jumped in the pit.It was wild & fun until the lighting rig came down at the front of the stage.We just moved to the back & watched the rest of the show

Very nice :heheh:
exactly what bands haven't you seen? every thread I go in, there's always the OP one person, then you come in and share an incredible story of being at that bands concert:lmao:
Who did write that song though? I always though it was Thunders

rtbuck

Reaction score

I have a feeling it was a bit of all three that wrote it everyone adding something to it & taking the credit.

As far as me seeing all the bands...I Guess I have a pretty good memory of all the shows

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score

bitzkrieg bob is one of the first songs i ever learned on the guitar. The ramones are on the top of my list of bands i never got the chance to see live. Good punk bands can only capture so much on a record, it is a whole different ball game to see them live

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Good job EB, and an iconic band in the punk world beyond all doubt. I know this is going to sound awful, but I don't have any Ramones albums, just a couple of MP3's on my PC. I just never really got into them that much...:dunno:

Reaction score

Good job EB, and an iconic band in the punk world beyond all doubt. I know this is going to sound awful, but I don't have any Ramones albums, just a couple of MP3's on my PC. I just never really got into them that much...:dunno:

aw... you have to at least get the first one... :tongue:
that's ok I have all of their songs they recorded, but none of their actual albums:heheh: I have 3 compilation albums I bought, and about 9 cd's I made with all their songs, no particular order really, just Ramones songs

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Like LG this is aband that I own no material for but if anyone can say anything about them it's that they were a fun band who didn't take themselves too seriously. That's why there material still has appeal regardless of lack of technical skills! :grinthumb

Reaction score

Like LG this is aband that I own no material for but if anyone can say anything about them it's that they were a fun band who didn't take themselves too seriously. That's why there material still has appeal regardless of lack of technical skills! :grinthumb

Yes, this is what I really say about any punk bands.... I hate it when I get in an argument with someone over it.. they will say "This band sucks, they can't play" my rebuttal will always be "they're not supposed to be able to play, its punk rock"

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online