The Pixies (Official Thread)

Oblivion

Reaction score
Pixies.gif

The Pixies are an American alternative rock band that formed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1986.
The band disbanded in 1993 under acrimonious circumstances but reunited in 2004.

The Pixies' style of alternative rock music is heavily influenced by punk and surf rock, and while highly melodic, is capable of being tremendously abrasive at the same time.
Some of their songs are brilliantly simplistic.
Francis is the band's primary songwriter and singer and has a distinctly desperate, yowling delivery. He has typically written cryptic songs about offbeat subjects, such as UFOs and surrealism. References to mental instability, violent Biblical imagery, physical injury, and incest feature in many of the band's songs.

Kurt Cobain's acknowledgement of the debt Nirvana owed to the Pixies,along with similar tributes by other alternative bands, ensured that the Pixies' legacy and influence grew substantially in the years following their demise.

~ Wikipedia

logo.gif

Oh and you'll probably want to check them out on album if you didn't already?
--> Try one of these: Wave of Mutilation: Best of Pixies or Death to the Pixies
Both are compilation albums (death to the pixies being the oldest one and thus the less 'complete' one...)

:D discuss ! Which albums do you like? Songs?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: The pixies!

The Pixies are ok, Oblivion, I wont diss them but I am not a huge fan either. The music is harsh sometimes, and that just doesn't appeal to me. I had a lot of trouble getting into the Punk scene, and the Pixies sound punk to me. There are some gems though like:

Here Comes Your Man *which you posted*

and this gem:

Wave of Mutilation

Oblivion

Reaction score

:p wave is such a boring song... It's the harsh songs I like best.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Not another Pixies thread....lol.

Like Magic I like some of their songs, and no denying the influence they had on many other bands of their era. Dolittle would be my favorite album.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
The Pixies

in my opinion, no other band was as crazy or rocked harder in the 80's than the Pixies. they just went insane in the studio and in concert. and it paid off because they made absolutely amazing music. no other band really sounds like them either. what does everyone here think of the Pixies?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Pixies

I like Doolittle, but that is the only Pixies album I own TL.

I was not collecting many bands in the late 80's early 90's so I never got into them that much.

One thing I will say is all the people that give them kudos for the "Louder...Softer" sound of many of their songs are mistaken if they think they Pioneered that sound. More bands than I can remember used that effect in the studio decades earlier.

Tiny Tim

Reaction score

Geat band, here's one with Kim singing lead...

Tiny Tim

Reaction score

Here's Cactus from Sufer Rosa, one of the best albums of the 80's.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Hey TT aren't they back together again? I know they did a reunion tour and wondered if that was it or are they going to record another album?

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

Geat band, here's one with Kim singing lead...

thats a great song, one of my favorites off of Surfer Rosa.

and yeah LG, i know they didn't pioneer the loud to soft sound but in my opinion they perfected it. there's nothing like hearing them go from controlled and soft to ripping into utter chaos. i love it

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online