AtomicPunk

Rock N Roll Rebel
Reaction score
Piper

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Wraps it up rather nicely and I concur.

I will never subscribe to the theory that the One album with Syd Barrett represents the zenith of Pink Floyd's career. I have to think there is sentimental attachment and sympathy for Syd that has added to the affection for Piper.

In my collection, Piper is not even in the top half of their discography, it is a good album and I like it, but dwarfed by many others as the band matured.
Hm I don't think that's why I like Pipers at all but understand your opinion. I don't believe I've got any sympathy for Syd. My love of this album(I rank it as PF's 5 best) is the songs (bkie, L Sam, Astronomy Domine,Interstallar Overdrive) and that eventhough its Syds only album its the beginning of space rock which is one of my favorite genres. Interstellar Overdrive alone makes this a gem. Sure PF went on create more interesting albums but I've always had a love for the raw beginings.

Love Saucer but PF were still working out the kinks of what became their sound after Syd left. I'll take the Syd legendary album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Hm I don't think that's why I like Pipers at all but understand your opinion. I don't believe I've got any sympathy for Syd. My love of this album(I rank it as PF's 5 best) is the songs (bkie, L Sam, Astronomy Domine,Interstallar Overdrive) and that eventhough its Syds only album its the beginning of space rock which is one of my favorite genres. Interstellar Overdrive alone makes this a gem. Sure PF went on create more interesting albums but I've always had a love for the raw beginings.

Love Saucer but PF were still working out the kinks of what became their sound after Syd left. I'll take the Syd legendary album.

I have had running arguments with Syd fanatics that went on for pages in a couple of other forums over the years. They are almost as bad as MCR fans when you say anything negative about Piper...which as I said is a good album but when it comes to Pink Floyd I like their later work much better.

Not taking anything away from Syd's contributions, based on the music alone I would still have the same opinion.

Syd

Reaction score
Wraps it up rather nicely and I concur.

I will never subscribe to the theory that the One album with Syd Barrett represents the zenith of Pink Floyd's career. I have to think there is sentimental attachment and sympathy for Syd that has added to the affection for Piper.

In my collection, Piper is not even in the top half of their discography, it is a good album and I like it, but dwarfed by many others as the band matured.
I may be the only one, but in myt case it's different. I don't like Piper At the Gates Of Dawn because of Syd Barrett. I like Syd Barret and got that sympathy for him BECAUSE of this album. I never really liked Pink Floyd (except for songs like Money or Another Brick In The Wall) and I couldn't really understand why so many people talked about them and loved them. Because I hear "The Wall" and "Dark Side Of the Moon" (which are condsidered their best albums) and never really got to like them much. And everybody talked about Syd Barrett and I didn't know why either. Then I heard Piper and I loved it. And I was like "What happened to Pink Floyd after this? How could they become this completely different band? Why would this 'genius' Barrett start making all these albums that don't sound as good as their first album?". And then I learned the whole Syd Barrett story. And that's why I like him so much, because of this album particularly, it's the only Pink Floyd album that completely moves me. The other LPs have really good songs, but only a few really get to me. Not with Piper, though. But I understand everyones opinion. This is my personal story at least and I get if someone doesn't get all the fuzz about Syd.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You are definitely in the "Syd Barrett" camp and I understand your position, I just happen to disagree with any Pink Floyd fan who thinks Piper is the beginning and end of Pink Floyd, I just think Piper is a nice album, but the later recordings are way beyond anything Syd Barrett era Floyd recorded.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online