The most important member of Led Zeppelin?

The most important member of Led Zeppelin?

• Robert Plant

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Jimmy Page

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • John Bonham

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • John Paul Jones

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • FAIL! I can't decide and think they're all about equal, woe is me...

Votes: 35 34.0%

• Total voters

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
I picked the last choice. They each brought their unique talents to the table, just like the Beatles. All four were equally important but Page was the nucleus. He knew what he wanted to achieve from the get go. They did the right thing by hanging it up after Bonzo's death. Bonzo easily makes it into the rock history books, not just as a member of a great band but by how he played. Look beyond the fills and the swagger and there is a wide range of light and shade. Oh and how he danced on the bass drum!

Moby Dick from TSRTS is not the best example of his solo. Many others exist on the bootlegs, going back to when his solo was named Pat's Delight in the early days.

There is also the "fifth Beatle" element to consider, namely, their manager Peter Grant. (RIP) Equally as important as the rest, "G" as they affectionately called him, was an integral ingredient to Zep's rise to the heavens. Despite all the snuff and gruff, he was a professional and made sure the band reaped what they sowed. Well respected throughout the music industry, he set quite a few standards that continue today, however, there continues to be a few bad apples stinking up the industry today. We miss you Peter.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
i gotta go with plant. yeah they're all important in forming the song and writing the music and all that but in the end i don't think the band would be the same without Plant's vocals

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Musically, Page has to be the most important person in the band. I'd listen to arguments for Bonham or Jones if anyone wants to make a case for them being more important to this band.

You just have to remember, saying Page was the most important person in this band, the shape of the band, the direction they went doesn't mean the other 3 guys sucked. It doesn't mean that at all.

runtfan

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think there can be any question that Jimmy Page was the most important member of Led Zeppelin - he was the visionary, he started the band, he oversaw the recording and production, he wrote the lion's share of the music, and along with Plant, was the visual presence of the band. Having said that, at various times, especially onstage, it could be said that Jones or Bonham were equally as important just because Page, let's face it, didn't always have his shit together and Jones and Bonham seemed to always be a well oiled machine, whereas Plant and Page were the wild cards in concert.
Everybody has their favorites and the contributions of everyone including Peter Grant were monumental, but there's no doubt that Led Zeppelin was Jimmy Page's baby.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I Have to go with Jimmy Page, They all gave major input including Peter Grant Who changed the way managers operated but I think Jimmy was the vital spark.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Jimmy Page put the band together with short notice and got a Scandinavian Tour out of them as The New Yardbirds! :tongue: So Jimmy Page would have had to have been the most important member because it wasn't as if those members would have found Page otherwise! :tongue: Initally Page wanted Terry Reid, but was unavailable, but put Page onto Plant and drummer Bonham instead! :tongue:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online