The most important member of Led Zeppelin?

The most important member of Led Zeppelin?

• Robert Plant

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Jimmy Page

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • John Bonham

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • John Paul Jones

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • FAIL! I can't decide and think they're all about equal, woe is me...

Votes: 35 34.0%

• Total voters

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Inspired by my morning listening to Zeppelin IV - it's been too long :oy: - I got to thinking about who the most important member was. I've thought about it lots of times and maybe now the members of this rock forum will help me decide it?

robert%20plant.jpg

or

jimmy_page_biography.jpg

or

john_bonham_biography.jpg

or

john+paul+jones.jpg

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Hmm, this is a very good question.

Page is responsible for their riffs, and founding the band in the first place from the ruins of the Yardbirds. But would it be the same without Plant's voice? Bonham's drumming? JPJ's bass? It's a very hard question.

I would lean towards Page, however, as he did come up with the idea originally, and without him it wouldn't really matter how vital the others were.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Yeah, Page got it all together and it was his brainchild... but without Page's voice... Bonham's drumming... they did say themselves when he died that it was over and done with without him.

And John Paul Jones.... I think he was much, much more important than most give him credit for. I'm willing to bet the music would have suffered if it had been just Page coming up with the songs with no input from Jones......

I fear that a lot of people just look at the faces up front - Page and Plant - and figure they're the most important ones but.... Zeppelin were probably one of the most 'equal' bands when it comes to individual input and importance.

Some may disagree of course.... :heheh:

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Nah, I definitely agree with you. Musically, they all contributed equally, and were all important to the end product. Much like the Beatles in that regard.

Hence, as the founder, Page won it for me. But others are free to find other criteria :grinthumb

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Went with the last option. Really couldn't decide who was more important.:banghead:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think they all were equally important to the band...........

rtbuck

Reaction score
Page got my vote. I never thought much of Bonzo & while he did add character to the band I felt he was replaceable. Although I don't mind 'In Through the Outdoor' I think that was about as far as Zeppelin could go despite the death of Bonzo. I've always said that the drum solo in "Moby Dick" was one of the worst drum solos recorded & it killed what would have been a great instrumental. The only thing that stood out of Bonham was the sound on the beginning drum roll of "Rock & Roll" which really stands out but still that was a rip off of Little Richard's "Keep a Knockin'"
Sorry for being harsh on Bonham but it's just my opinion. I've never been a huge Zeppelin fan & I could probably fill up an 80 minute cd with all the Zeppelin songs I love but it probably wouldn't go over 80 minutes. What I love by Zeppelin I really love but I could throw away the rest. Page had the look & style of a guitar god & I really it was he that made Zeppelin. Plant has a great voice but I'll take Janis Joplin over him anyday.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have to say Jimmy Page as well, but the complete synergy of Zeppelin as a unit was far greater than any of the individual parts.

I am glad they retired when John passed away, the legacy has grown even larger as a result of just realizing they would never recapture the essence of what made them the best Hard Rock band of their time and some would argue in history.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online