The Most Beatle-Sound-Alike Band In Rock'n Roll History

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I remember my younger sister used to think that There She Goes by The La's was a Beatles song, I can totally understand that and it does remind me of the Beatles too. I've never heard anything else by them though (perhaps not surprising, they only ever released one album and that was their one big hit) so I can't say for sure that they're amongst the bands who sound most like The Beatles.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Going back to the original post I think what actually happened was Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood, who were members of the band The Move, heard the album Sgt Peppers and, from there, ELO was created. All of the Beatles could see what they were doing. For his own reasons Roy Wood left and went in a different direction. But Jeff has always credited the influence of The Beatles.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I always thought that ELO sounded very much like the Beatles. :D Badfinger would sound like the Beatles since Paul McCartney sang backing vocals for them on some of their songs. :grinthumb

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I'm sure what i'm about to say isn't new to the Rock'n Roll world. But I can't help but think of The Beatles whenever i listen to Electric Light Orchestra (ELO). I'm sure you guys have heard of the band and their vocalist Jeff Lynne. Jeff has played concerts with George Harrison. But here's the thing, Jeff Lynne has the ability to emulate the voices of every Beatle.

it's being suggested that ELO got their influence from the Beatles song "I am The Walrus".
Jeff Lynne was previously a part of the 60s Pop Group "The Move" which also included Bev Bevan, Roy Wood & Keyboardist Richard Tandy.

I'll give some examples. (All songs written by Jeff Lynne)

1. Here's a classic ELO tune.. Mr. Blue Sky... Here's a true fact: 80% of the people who have listened to this tune, thought it was by The Beatles.

ELO - Mr.Blue Sky (Original Promo) - YouTube

2. Here's another tune by the band. The Lights Go Down... Jeff Lynne sounded so much like Paul McCartney in this one.

ELO - The Lights Go Down - YouTube

3. Now THIS has to be their most Beatle-Sounding tune in my opinion. 21st Century Man. He literally sounded like Paul during the first 55 seconds, then in came Lennon. Both Jeff!

ELO - 21st Century Man - YouTube

ELO also did a cover of "Roll Over Beethoven" which was something The Beatles did during their British Invasion of 1964.

Reaction score
Btw, this is highly unlikely, but there are little rumours going on that John Lennon was actually the one who sung the chorus of David Bowie's "Changes". Since David Bowie never really sung with a falsetto. But I honestly don't think it sounds THAT much like John but what're your opinions?

(0:53) david bowie - changes - YouTube

tkitna

Reaction score
A buddy of mine swore for years that this song was from the Beatles.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Btw, this is highly unlikely, but there are little rumours going on that John Lennon was actually the one who sung the chorus of David Bowie's "Changes". Since David Bowie never really sung with a falsetto. But I honestly don't think it sounds THAT much like John but what're your opinions?

(0:53) david bowie -
changes - YouTube

That was 'Fame' - Lennon also co-wrote it

Radagast

Reaction score
Sowing the Seeds of Love by Tears for Fears may be the closest I have ever heard another group come to a 2nd original "Sgt.Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" song. A most talented group of Irishmen. The Beatles are still the standard all others look up to !

As a side note:"Everybody wants to rule the world", is in my top 10 favorite song list.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online