The Most Beatle-Sound-Alike Band In Rock'n Roll History

Reaction score
I'm sure what i'm about to say isn't new to the Rock'n Roll world. But I can't help but think of The Beatles whenever i listen to Electric Light Orchestra (ELO). I'm sure you guys have heard of the band and their vocalist Jeff Lynne. Jeff has played concerts with George Harrison. But here's the thing, Jeff Lynne has the ability to emulate the voices of every Beatle.

I'll give some examples. (All songs written by Jeff Lynne)

1. Here's a classic ELO tune.. Mr. Blue Sky... Here's a true fact: 80% of the people who have listened to this tune, thought it was by The Beatles.

ELO - Mr.Blue Sky (Original Promo) - YouTube

2. Here's another tune by the band. The Lights Go Down... Jeff Lynne sounded so much like Paul McCartney in this one.

ELO - The Lights Go Down - YouTube

3. Now THIS has to be their most Beatle-Sounding tune in my opinion. 21st Century Man. He literally sounded like Paul during the first 55 seconds, then in came Lennon. Both Jeff!

ELO - 21st Century Man - YouTube

Last edited:

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Jeff has always been a huge Beatles fan. They influenced everything he did when he got into music. Then he ended up befriending all of his heroes, and even producing some of them (George and Paul). He is still held in very high regard by Paul as a musician and producer.

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
Badfinger

Badfinger certainly tried to sound like The Beatles. Whether they do or not is a matter of opinion.

No Matter What - Badfinger

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Badfinger certainly tried to sound like The Beatles. Whether they do or not is a matter of opinion.

No Matter What - Badfinger

That one was produced by George Harrison, and another of their hits, 'Come and Get it', was produced by Paul McCartney. I think there's no doubt that The Beatles themselves saw them as a band that could possibly take over where they left off. They had great song writing talent ('Without You' among others), but got ripped off mercilessly by the industry. As we all know it ended tragically with two of them taking their own lives. Who knows what they might have achieved as a band?

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Badfinger and The Raspberries are the first two bands that come to mind. There was also a one hit wonder band (at least in the U.S.) called The Tee Set. They had a hit called "Ma Belle Amie" that I thought for sure was early solo McCartney.

tkitna

Reaction score
The Knickerbockers easily.

Here's my favorite from them.

Another good one.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
NEVER EVER have I thought that ELO sounded the least bit like The Beatles. I know that at a point in time, they were labeled "the next Beatles" (or something similar), but they never had that similar/same sound, at all.

Badfinger had a couple of tracks that REALLY sounded a lot like the Beatles or a Beatles clone.

The Knickerbockers had a couple of songs that sounded like they were a Beatles cover band.

The Bee Gees even had a couple of tracks that sounded very Beatles-esque.

Overall, I don't think anyone sounded just like the Beatles. Some songs here and there are obviously heavily influenced by the Beatles over the years, but I don't think any one band was the second coming.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online