The Dickies

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
The Dickies are an American punk rock group formed in San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, California, U.S. in 1977.

The Dickies were among the first punk rock bands to emerge from Los Angeles. They were the first California punk band to appear on network television, and the first California punk band to be signed to a major record label.

The Dickies' style is campy and humorous, influenced by The Ramones, for whom they sometimes opened. The Dickies are popular in the United Kingdom, and had a Top 10 single with "Banana Splits (Tra La La Song)" in 1979. Many of their lyrics concern Southern California culture, rife with references and in-jokes; examples include songs like "Waterslide", "I'm A Cholo", "Manny, Moe, and Jack", and "(I'm Stuck in a Pagoda with) Tricia Toyota". They are also known for recording several fast-paced punk covers of classic rock songs, including the Moody Blues' "Nights in White Satin", Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction", and the Human Beinz' "Nobody But Me". They have also covered Pretty Ballerina, a song by The Left Banke, as well as "Hair".

Drug problems slowed the Dickies down considerably in the 1980s, but they have continued playing and recording sporadically to the present day. Guitarist/keyboardist/saxophonist Chuck Wagon (born Bob Davis) committed suicide after a break-up with his girlfriend in June 1981. Jonathan Melvoin, who played drums on The Dickies album, Idjit Savant, died of a heroin overdose on July 12, 1996 in New York, aged 34, whilst on tour playing keyboards for the Smashing Pumpkins. Original drummer Karlos Kabellero died on September 22, 2009 from heart related issues. One-time guitarist Enoch Hain (born Robert Lansing, Jr.) died on July 25, 2009 from complications arising from pneumonia.

In 1988, the Dickies wrote and performed the theme music for the horror film Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

Reaction score
Didn't they also cover Zeppelin's Communication Breakdown? I think I remember hearing that... either way, they are an awesome band, I didn't know pretty much all of them died though... that's a bit depressing:heheh:

either way, very cool band and cool thread, nice job:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Holy Crap the Banana Splits...I even remember the TV show, one of the first I ever got to see on a color television set.:D

Reaction score
:heheh:^^

here's some covers I found on youtube.. I couldn't find communication breakdown though:(

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online