The Decemberists - The King Is Dead (2011)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead

TheDecemberists-TheKingIsDead.jpg

This album probably won't get into so much detail as to what stories are being told in the songs, or what the meaning of the songs are, that's for you to experience on your own, I wouldn't want to ruin it for you. And with that, here is the review:

Giving this album a full run through once, I can already say that this album is one of my favorites of the year, and yes, i'm aware it's still early in the year, but it's a great start to a year of new releases. The Decemberists have definitely changed their sound with this album, it's not like anything i've heard from them previously. With Picaresque and Hazards of Love, they had a very deep and dark sound, whereas The King Is Dead has a more upbeat, country sound to it, which is not a bad thing in this case. Colin Meloy is still a great vocalist with the accompaniment of other female vocalists, his lyrics are still so deep and haunting in a way. He's always had a way with putting songs together to tell a story, which has been proven with The Mariners Revenge Song off of the Picaresque album.

Two songs in particular really bring across a story that anybody can understand. January Hymn, and June Hymn. More of a slow paced couple of pieces by The Decemberists, but it really doesn't matter if it's fast or not, the story being told is enough to get me hooked.

When the first song was released, "Down By The Water", I was expecting something great by these guys, and this is exactly what I got. If you like country, indie, and folk, this album is perfect. If you like Colin Meloy and his lyrical "wonderous-ness" you will love it.

Some of the album may have it downsides, like it's "too slow", or "the lyrics aren't all that great", but that's all in personal opinion, I honestly think it's a great piece of work from this band, and I like the change in sound from Hazards of Love to this. It's different, but they pulled off being different pretty well. Lots of people will lose the meaning behind their music when they change sound, and some don't, The Decemberists haven't lost their touch. I wouldn't mind hearing their next album with this sort of influence. You'll hear some R.E.M influence, which i'm sure you've read everywhere else, but it's true. Down By The Water does sound a lot like older R.E.M songs, not particularly a bad thing, seeing as it could have a more deep meaning to you if you listened to R.E.M growing up.

Thus bringing us near the end of the album. I was expecting more of an upbeat ending to the song, but that's not what I got. It was a more dark, depressing ending. Which definitely isn't bad. It made me truly think about how the whole album was put together and how the story elevated. Not a bad touch on Decemberists part. I honestly wish the album wouldn't end though, this particular one has the potential to be one of the best, and i'm sure it will be, but that's all personal opinion.

All in all, I recommend this album as a good start to the year, even if you don't like Indie/Folk/Country-ish music, it's still a good album to have.

4/5

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: The Decemberists - The King Is Dead

Great writeup! :grinthumb I'm in the same boat as you P&C! I've just got it and have only given it one full listen. For me it was different for them but it still definitely felt like a Decemberists album though it's less dark as you said. I thought Hazards of love was the darkest of all their albums I've heard. This one is refreshing and I love modern folk so this is up my alley anyway! I will definitely be spinning this one a ton! :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Great writeup! :grinthumb I'm in the same boat as you P&C! I've just got it and have only given it one full listen. For me it was different for them but it still definitely felt like a Decemberists album though it's less dark as you said. I thought Hazards of love was the darkest of all their albums I've heard. This one is refreshing and I love modern folk so this is up my alley anyway! I will definitely be spinning this one a ton! :grinthumb

I've given it 3 or 4 more listens since I reviewed it, and it's an absolutely amazing piece of work. I really love the sorta country influence the album has. Colin Meloy still continues to show how much of a great voice he has. I've seen live videos of him and he sounds great. One of my favorite folk singers. Easily.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I've given it 3 or 4 more listens since I reviewed it, and it's an absolutely amazing piece of work. I really love the sorta country influence the album has. Colin Meloy still continues to show how much of a great voice he has. I've seen live videos of him and he sounds great. One of my favorite folk singers. Easily.

Folk rock is right up there with Alternative Rock concerning anything from 2,000 on. I love so many artist in the genre Decemberists included. Damien Rice/Lisa Hannigan, City and Colour, Ryan Adams, David Ford, Foreverinmotion, Joshua James, Mumford and Sons, William Fitzsimmons, etc. have all put out the best music of this generation IMO. In fact, along with the Decemberists album I also got two other folk oriented albums I'm spinning. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I really love the whole folky vibe to it...nice write up! :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Folk rock is right up there with Alternative Rock concerning anything from 2,000 on. I love so many artist in the genre Decemberists included. Damien Rice/Lisa Hannigan, City and Colour, Ryan Adams, David Ford, Foreverinmotion, Joshua James, Mumford and Sons, William Fitzsimmons, etc. have all put out the best music of this generation IMO. In fact, along with the Decemberists album I also got two other folk oriented albums I'm spinning. :grinthumb

Can't forget Conor Oberst's works. With Desaparecidos and Bright Eyes. Just in case though, here's some Bright Eyes magic :grinthumb

And just so were not TOTALLY off topic, here's an acoustic of We Both Go Down Together by Colin Meloy:

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score

Thanks for the write up. Will be getting this one today.

I liked Picaresque alot, but felt that Hazards of Love got a bit bogged down.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice review P&C.:cheers2

I have listened to the new album twice, and it is quintessential Decemberists to me. I will be playing it quite a bit myself over the next few weeks and have listened to all 3 of their earlier CD's the last two days.

Thanks El Mad Dog, wherever you are.:grinthumb

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

I really like The King Is Dead :grinthumb It has a blue grass sound and it's a kind of timeless album you can listen to any time of day in any mood. My favourite tracks are Down By The Water, Calamity Song, Rise To Me & This Is Why We Fight.

howimetyourmusic

Reaction score

i like the simplicity of this album too. Definitely very folky. im not sure tho. . .it seems a little derrivative. i feel like ive heard a lot of this stuff before in other places (like bob dylan).
My gf and i talked about this album and we came to some similar conclusions about the style but our review didn't see it in such a positive light. i don't know, i think its kind of an interesting counterpoint to this review, because I feel like both are really solid reviews in terms of being well thought out, even tho we didn't really draw the same conclusion

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craqdi

Staff online

Members online