The best Spinal Tap Type Stories ever

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
I thought this would be a fun thread, but I guess we have to be careful about posting anything potentially libellous, so let's use the word alledgedly and not post anything that could be considered defamation.

Other rule is that they can't be too obvious. Not much point in posting the story of ozzy biting a bat/ pigeon's head off or passages from Motley Crue's The Dirt.

Here's a couple I've heard:

Slaughter: Starring Dana Strum and Mark Slaughter

My friend was a singer in a signed band who supported Slaughter on a UK tour circa 1990/1991. You may remember that the Slaughter public persona was built on the idea that they were 'down with the fans', an ego free four piece and that their former band mate Vinnie Vincent was a dick head on legs, etc etc. Anyway, allegedly and according to my friend, Slaughter were anything but the nice to know guys they pretended to be. Lots of refusing to be in the same room as the support group and Tap style moaning.

So anyway, Slaughter also insisted that they had their own dressing room in every venue adorned with "Slaughter" on the door. So, for nothing more than a joke and thinking Dana and the guys would see the funny side of it, my friend's band removed the "S" from Slaughter to spell "Laughter". Cue a massively angry band emerging pre-gig, seeing the word "Laughter" on their dressing room door. My friend's band were not invited to extend the tour!

Def Leppard - NOT actually Sweating over every crotchet: ALLEDGEDLY

You may remember the Leppard boys made a big deal of extended studio time to get everything note perfect (Joe Elliot stories of Top of The Pops on TV sounding out of tune during studio down time as they'd listened to playbacks of take after take for hour after hour).

That may be true of Hysteria, but, according to an insider I know, the recording of Adrenalize was a big music industry in joke, on the basis that they moved entire choruses and verses on the source tape, rather than record, say, 4 choruses per song. Jokes such as "how long does it take to record a Def Leppard LP?" A: " Four years to set up the studio, 1 week to record the first 20 minutes and 1 week to move the first twenty minutes to make a 40 minute record".

True? Who knows, but nice anecdotes.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online