The Alan Parsons Project (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Alan Parsons Project

^^This album is definitely one that reveals a lot more over time, I remember when my brother first played it back when it was released, I was like...:wtf:..is this?

:heheh:

But then I bought my own record and played it at least twice a week for a month and it became one of my favorite concept albums of all time. I have the MFSL version of it in the library now, which is the best copy ever pressed.:D

Breadfan

Reaction score

My view is that the first three are the only truly robust APP LPs.

After that the sound becomes a little too commercial for my taste

The deluxe version of his best, Tales of Mystery, is delightful with the original '76 mix and the later '86 remix.

Orson is sublime.

Robust stuff

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^My all time favorite Project song is off Pyramid, and I agree that they did become more radio friendly later on, but I like every album right up to Ammonia Avenue. I am still thinking about picking up Vulture Culture...but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Matt, I missed your nice gesture to Eric Woolfson, sadly he did pass away quietly last year, and according to what I read Alan and him did settle things that had strained their friendship before he died.

I have three of Woolfson's solo albums, and one by Larry Zakatek, one of the mainstay vocalists on many of the Projects best songs.

Breadfan

Reaction score

Pyramid has some excellent material and flows really fluidly.

Zakatek has indeed a superb voice.

Anybody whose surname begins with 'Z' is alright in my book

Vocalists are clearly a matter of taste. [I adore Lee Jackson's voice for example, but I know I am in a minority]

Parsons generally used top-notch vocalists that did the job well.

Arthur Brown's contribution on Tales is sublime

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Lee Jackson Breadfan?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Okay I looked him up, I have some Nice albums but never made the connection between him and the Project...unless you are reminding me he does appear on some of Parson's records or that he has a unique voice.:think:

Breadfan

Reaction score

unless you are reminding me he does appear on some of Parson's records or that he has a unique voice.:think:

Yes, sorry my perceptive friend for my obvious ambiguity.

The latter.

I have a soft spot for the unusual voice - Family's Roger Chapman, Pavlov's Dog's David Surkamp, If's JW Hodkinson et al

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Okay I understand thanks, funny you mentioned Pavlov's Dog, I just picked up a CD of theirs two days ago...haven't listened to it yet though.:D

Breadfan

Reaction score

Okay I understand thanks, funny you mentioned Pavlov's Dog, I just picked up a CD of theirs two days ago...haven't listened to it yet though.:D

They only made two proper LPs Pampered Menial and At the Sound of the Bell.

I'd be very interested in which one you have.

The jury is out as to which is best. I'll go with the first Pampered Menial although the second has one of my favourite tub-thumpers on it - Bill Bruford.

As I say the vocals are unusual - you'll probably check to determine the sex of the vocalist....!

Julia, the opening track of PM, is mind-blowing.

If you are hearing The Dog for the first time you are a lucky man

A very lucky man

Whichever one you have you need the other too.

Robust stuff...?

Not 'arf!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online