That one album,,,,

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Let It Be~The Beatles :uh:

Ooh thanks for reminding me. I'm not a big fan of the song, Let It Be. It is alright. I don't hate it. But it is just a plodding boring Beatles song to me. I don't get all the praise. I would never include it in a custom-designed Beatles Best Of.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
The album cover is very bad. It looks like it was just slapped together without any thought. I've seen kids draw better than that.

Didn't it go with the whole anti-prog thing of minimalism and simplicity is best or something like that?? I mean, punk came about as a reaction to 70's excess and bands like Pink Floyd. In that context, I'm not surprised that the album cover is so... basic.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
Ooh thanks for reminding me. I'm not a big fan of the song, Let It Be. It is alright. I don't hate it. But it is just a plodding boring Beatles song to me. I don't get all the praise. I would never include it in a custom-designed Beatles Best Of.

I love the song Let It Be, but I think the Beatles could have gotten by without this album. It is actually their last album as the Beatles, and they were fighting so much that they didn't even record it together. It just seems like a retread of their other albums.

Let It Be

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love Nevermind the Bollocks and Nevermind but agree they are extremely overrated, moreso Nevermind.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I’ve never actually made it through an entire album that I’ve hated everything about it, if you get a few tracks in and it totally blows, chances are the rest of it is just as bad, so that would be the point at which I shut it off.

There’s probably a lot of those, I recall in my younger days struggling to get through some 'classic' metal bands albums that my friends all really loved, though I’d probably be a bit more tolerant these days as I actually really like some of that stuff.

A few years ago a friend lent me two Muse albums, one I know was Absolution, and I forget the other one but probably the one that came before that, but I never got past about track #4 on either of them, a bunch of whiney, pompous, derivative drivel, 1% substance and 99% effect, to me they just sounded like they wanted to be either a Queen, Radiohead, Coldplay, or U2 tribute band, but they couldn’t decide which, so they decided to morph into all 4 simultaneously. So they will always get switched off the moment they come on the radio.

MuseAbsolution-300dpi%255B1%255D.jpg

Also, I don't know if they are "recognised by the masses" much, though I know they sell like hot cakes, but I know for certain that I’ve never made it through a Rod Stewart album, he’s my all-time #1 nightmare artist - we went to a friend’s house at Christmas and they were playing his Christmas album the whole time we were there on a loop, by about the 3rd time hearing him doing ‘Jingle Bells’ I felt like faking a stroke just to get the hell out of there. You only have to look at the album cover to get the idea, this is music to be played exclusively to lovely old grannies in nursing homes to sing along to whilst they are knitting cardigans in between their 30 minute power-naps …

Rod_Stewart's_2012_album_'Merry_Christmas%2C_Baby'.jpg

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
For me, 'that one album' is Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys. If you are a fan of this album you may want to stop reading, I will understand if you find this a bit painful to read. I would find the same if someone did this to one of my favourites.

The great and good of the music world have continually praised this album (including people like Roger Waters and Eric Clapton), and it's very often at the top of lists of Rock's greatest ever albums. I was impressed by this praise for the album and listened to the album. I tried to like it, but I was really underwhelmed. I tried again, but found it no better second time around. I was confused - why was this genius record not even succeeding in holding my attention?

The harmonies really are the only thing I can see as being truly great in this album - I can see why people praise it for being the forebear of the concept album, but it is just a collection of love songs (a very common theme), and with the exception of Caroline No, a lot of the songs just seem twee and child-like to my ears - for me an album cannot be genius if you have to suspend your usual expectations of the standard of the lyrics. The music doesn't really grab me either, although as someone who's primarily a rock (rather than pop) fan this doesn't bother me quite as much as I can rationalise this.

I accept that some will be horrified by this comparison, but if I stack Pet Sounds up against Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, one album gives me a number of variations on the same song, the other gives me a great variety of tracks from rockers to stripped back piano ballads. One album gives me teenager in love platitudes, the other gives me lyrics which describe a real adult relationship falling apart. I could go on.

The irony is that I don't think most people would say this album is more challenging than Pink Floyd, yet I struggle with Pet Sounds while enjoying The Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall.

Part of the problem is that Pet Sounds is widely considered to be one of the greatest albums in rock history. Even though I don't get it, I wouldn't disagree with anyone who considered it to be one of the greatest albums in pop history, but this doesn't even count as soft rock - I consider Sloop John B to be as pop as anything else on here. I have no problem with the fact that so many other people love this record, my main issue is with its position at the top of 'Greatest Ever Rock Album' lists.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ByronPasch

Members online

No members online now.