Ten Years Ago Today...

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
On this day June 27th 2002, the rock community suffered a terrible loss when John Entwistle of The Who passed away.

tumblr_m694usE6J21rvfns3o1_500.jpg

Both Pete and Roger gave their statement about John's Death ten years later on the official Who website.
The Who Official Band Website - Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, John Entwistle, and Keith Moon | In Memoriam John Entwistle

When we speak about loving someone, there is always something unsaid. We love people we do not like. We like people we can never love.... I loved John, I liked him, I respected him, and I miss him....Some people are utterly without peer. When they are gone they leave an immense vacuum. So it is with John.
-Pete Townshend

So its 10 years on from that sunny day in LA when I got a phone call from Pete telling me of John’s death. It seems like yesterday. I still think of him often. I miss his love, his friendship and his wonderful dry sense of humour. The great thing for me about playing our music "live", even with different bass players who don't have the same sound, is that John is right there on the stage with me. Keith too. I have said from the stage many times that the thunder they created in their lifetimes still echoes around the Universe. It always will.
-Roger Daltrey

There's a nice little photo gallery of John that Rolling Stone magazine posted on their website.
The Epic Life of the Who's John Entwistle Pictures - 'The Kids Are Alright' | Rolling Stone

John was a huge inspiration to many musicians looking to break into the business and in my honest opinion there will never be anyone like him. His presence is still greatly missed. May he rest in peace.
homebanner-john-10yearsRIP.jpg

We love you Ox! ♥

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
One of the greatest ever, doesn't seem like it's been ten years since he left us.

I give Roger and Pete credit for carrying on, but the Who is not the same band without John and Keith, how could it be?

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
I still recall being in shock as a music fan about Entwistle's passing especially regarding the circumstances that caused it. He seemed to me one of those individuals that was always on course with his life...never a rabble rauser but just a serious, quiet musician who loved his craft. Those bass runs in "My Generation" will always be indelible in my mind.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I was really wanting to see them around that time. They just aren't The Who without 'the Ox'. That guy was a lead Bass Guitarist of the highest calibre. Rest in peace. The bedrock of that band and - by extension - a lot of hard rock legacy.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I was really wanting to see them around that time. They just aren't The Who without 'the Ox'. That guy was a lead Bass Guitarist of the highest calibre. Rest in peace. The bedrock of that band and - by extension - a lot of hard rock legacy.

Agreed. They managed to get by without Keith Moon, but I was surprised they continued without John Entwistle. I was never really a Pino Palladino fan, even though he has always been highly rated.

I think Townshend and Daltrey feel compelled to work together, because the former is not accepted when he uses his own voice and the latter needs a strong songwriter. They should call themselves Who's Next.

I heard Pete Townshend say, in an interview, that he joined The Who because John Enwistle insisted to the others.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online