Tell us about your stereo!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice, they look good too. I can just picture you surrounded by all that great stuff doing your transfers.:grinthumb

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting one of these Marantz SA8003 Stereo SACD players and shipping it off to Matt Anker for further enhancement...Hopefully that would bring the sound quality of my CDs closer to the sound quality of my LPs.

:pumpkin:

Hepcat - just to make sure, are you talking about Anker modding the CD-playing circuitry of the Marantz, or the SACD-playing circuitry? You do know that SACD is a direct-stream format that's completely different from standard redbook CDs, right? I assume you know that, but just wasn't sure, considering the way you worded your post.

If all you have are CDs and you have no desire to invest in SACDs, there isn't much point in getting any SACD player, whether you get it modded or not. Nothing about what makes SACDs sound great comes into use at all when an SACD player is used to play CDs.

I'm not trying to discourage you buying an SACD player, but if all you own are CDs, playing them through an SACD player is no more likely to get you better sound than if you played them through any number of other good-quality CD players.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
^^That is a nice Player Hep. I know a guy in Denver or a suburb there that does upgrades to old amplifiers, he loves restoring them to their glory and finds the newest stuff made in China, lacking. I am eventually going to get my hands on an old Yamaha CA-1010 and send it to him for upgrades...I simply loved that old amplifier and should never have sold it.

YamahaCA-10101.jpg

I always loved those big, honking super-chicklets-sized knobs on Yamaha's rotary switches. A very distinctive design. :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Craig do you think the DVD 5.1 releases are equal to or superior to the SACD format?

Yeah I loved the look and feel of the switches on my old Yamaha,,,I am still kicking myself for ever parting with it...:wa:

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
That looks like a fun, fun room, Alocer. I could spend days at a time in there.

I'm almost done transferring the last of my non-classical LPs to CD. I only have 14 more to go from the folk/bluegrass collection, then a handful of jazz. Then I have to decide if I want to do the same with the classicals. Just from the pop/rock, folk and jazz sections I'll have between 350 and 400 LPs to try to find a way to get rid of soon

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Craig do you think the DVD 5.1 releases are equal to or superior to the SACD format?

Yeah I loved the look and feel of the switches on my old Yamaha,,,I am still kicking myself for ever parting with it...:wa:

I don't have enough experience with the 5.1 stuff to say for sure, LG. Not only do I not have much in the way of software, my only surround system is extremely modest and in no way approaches high-end sound. I only use it for movies and for background dinner music, and it suits my needs fine for those uses.

Plus I admit to having some confusion about 5.1 software. Many, if not most, of my SACDs have multi-channel layers on them, but beyond that, I'm not real clear on the differences between audio-only DVD-A discs (like Neil Young was so fond of) and audio tracks from standard DVD movies and such. And then on top of all of that I have a couple of DTS-encoded audio-only discs, like one from Diana Krall and one from Glen Phillips. I picked up those more from a collector's "get 'em all" point of view than from thinking I'd be able to hear stellar sound from them.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It is complicated,,,DTS, Dolby 5.1, SACD, and DVD-A,,,you would think they would just make a single format and stick with it.

I do have an SACD copy of Rimsky-Korsakov, and a 5.1 DVD-A of Orff's Carmina Burana and a Steve Miller Fly Like An Eagle on DVD-A, but it's hard to make a comparison, you would need a copy of one work by the same artist in all formats to really tell for certain.

I will say the Rolling Stones album you sent me sounds Great, much better than a regular CD no doubt.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online