Styx (Official Thread)

Khor1255

Reaction score
Gonna have to check that out. Does anyone know off the top of their head if Curelewski ever did anything after Styx?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I am not sure what Curelewski did after Styx...I just picked up a mint vinyl copy of Equinox one of their best albums and his last with the band before Shaw's arrival.

MP might know...:hm:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
He quit the band due to family reasons, I believe to spend more time with family in general. He also opened up a music store out here and ran that.

:grinthumb

runtfan

Reaction score
:bump:

ok, so I'm watching the Styx concert on VH1 Classic, from 2010 Grand Illusion/Pieces Of Eight show. I gotta say that keyboardist/vocalist guy is extremely talented. Dare I say possibly an upgrade from DDY. Wow, where did JY and Tommy find this guy, he is perfect for this band. Just hand him a blank check and let him fill it out because this band seems reborn with him in it.

I am really enjoying this show.

I agree that Lawrence Gowan has been a really good replacement for Dennis DeYoung. He's nowhere near as good a singer as DeYoung but his voice is very similar in tone so he does a pretty good job covering those songs. I DO think Gowan's an exceptionally good keyboard player and more than fills that role. The most important thing is that he's a road dog like JY and Tommy Shaw. Styx plays an awful lot of shows.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
I just picked up a mint vinyl copy of Equinox

I have two vinyl LP's of this album. My favorite of the pre-Tommy Shaw albums. This album is the bridge between the Wooden Nickel Years and the arena rock years. The last of the old school Styx.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have two vinyl LP's of this album. My favorite of the pre-Tommy Shaw albums. This album is the bridge between the Wooden Nickel Years and the arena rock years. The last of the old school Styx.

Yes Styx is definitely one of those "Tales of two bands" that shifted quite a bit after Tommy Shaw joined up.

Always amuses me to read the majority of critics back in the day put Crystal Ball ahead of Equinox, for me it's the other way round. If I see another vinyl A&M Audiophile pressing of Crystal Ball I'll pick it up cost a little more than a regular album but A&M were one of the best labels period when it came to quality.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
This is a GREAT track from Dennis from the band's (hardly talked about) Brave New World album

While There's Still Time

Fever

Reaction score
Styx,REO Speedwagon and Ted Nugent are touring together again this spring

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
The Grand Illusion
Pieces Of Eight
Ive the above and have only played them a little-they are good and ill get them in my system again
i like :grinthumb

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I first heard Styx around 1975-76, when I first started listening to radio, along with a load of other classic rock bands from that era.

It's funny, a lot of those groups have had rifts with their original/quintessential lead singers, but Styx is the one that bothers me the most.

I really don't think of the band as existing anymore. Maybe because they were a local band, who, for most of their career, didn't forget they were Chicago boys.

IDK, I just never liked how they treated Dennis, without whom, they wouldn't have gotten as far.

I always loved the story about Lady:
Dick Biondi on WLS in Chicago, who was determined to make it a hit, played the song every night at 8pm, until it became a national hit

Favorite album, Grand Illusion.

Some of my favorite songs, Miss America, Suite Madame Blue, Superstars, Come Sail Away, Snowblind.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online