STRAY-Time Machine: A Discography.

joe

Reaction score
In the west end of London in 1966, four young lads from Christopher Wren School formed a band called The Stray. The band consisted of guitarist/vocalist/keyboardist Del Bromham, Steve Gadd on lead vocals and rhythm guitar, bassist Gary Giles and drummer Steve Crutchley who was replaced by Ritchie Cole two years later.

As with most bands at this time of course The Beatles were a big influence. Changing thier name from The Stray to Stray and doing any small gigs that they could. Thier musical direction took to the British blues, psychedelia and then to a progressive hard rock.

In 1970 the band was signed to Transatlantic records and released thier epynomous self titled debut the same year as this album is probably best known to hard rock/heavy psych enthusiasts of the 70's.

The first track, "All In Your Mind" is a nine and half minute epic showcasing Del Bromham's guitar playing and excellent unison harmonies. Later Iron Maiden would cover the song and Steve Harris has stated he's been a long time fan.

There is an eclectic mixture of musical diversity throughout the whole album from proto-metal, psych, heavy prog., Beatle-esque harmonies to a boogie-jam rock 'n roll. Not to shabby for 18 and 19 year olds.

To be continued...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have a good copy of that one Joe, I'll have to play it one of these days. It's the only album of Stray's that I have.:D

joe

Reaction score
Hey LG, thier first album seems to be the one most people have. No question the band's peak was 70-75 though they have 20 albums to thier credit and continue recording today with a release in 2009.

IMO, a band that didn't recieve the credit and acclaim they deserved. Pretty tough competation back in the early/mid 70's in the hard rock genre.

One of my favourite bands so I thought I would give them some exposure.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I thought you had a soft spot for them Joe, seein' your avvy is a dead giveaway.:heheh:

I didn't realize they were that prolific, but I lost track of them decades ago.

joe

Reaction score
^^^Most people did LG. I'm doing a in-depth discography. Maybe too in-depth for most people. What the hell, I enjoy doing it and if some others like it, even better.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I will follow along, seeing they slipped past me completely.:hab:

joe

Reaction score
Following thier great s/t debut Stray's sophmore release Suicide from 1971 is similar in vien to thier epynomous album a year later. This album shows the band leaning slightly to progressive influences although taking more of a darker, gloomy side with Del Bromham incroporating an organ, mellotron, electric piano, and harpsichord. The band still has the great power chords, hook laden metallic riffs, and groves of boogie.

The band was well known for thier great stage show using pyrotechnics. During a gig at the Weeley Festival the coast gaurd mistakenly thought the band's stage flares were a distress call from a life boat.

In the winter of 1971 Stray did thier first headlining tour in the UK and then supported Ten Years After in Europe. They returned home and toured nation wide with thier old buddies The Groundhogs.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I listened to Son Of The Father and I have to say it's a nice track! Probably not what I'm in the mood for right now but it's still enjoyable :grinthumb I look forward to reading more of your reviews and listening to more of Stray's music!

joe

Reaction score
1972 saw the release of Saturday Morning Pictures which sees the band taking more of a progressive rock approach than thier last two albums. Again, the hard rock is still present though the band incorporates some folk and jazz as well. Guitarist Del Bromham adds more keyboards,synthesizers, and organs as well as acoustic textures but doesn't over take his fantastic rocking guitar.

The first single "Our Song" features soul singer P.P. Arnold(toured with the Stones) doing backing vocals. "Move That Wigwam" is the bands condemnation of the genocide of the aboriginal people of the US 'old west'. "Queen of the Sea" is a tribute to Moby Dick.

Stray would again hit the road touring with Status Quo, Ten Years After, Wizzard, and opened for Black Sabbath at the Alexandra Palace.

Del Bromham stated that this is his favourite album from a recent on-line interview I recently heard and IMO is the bands best work.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiammeee

Members online