Steely Dan (Official Thread)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: Steely Dan

I picked up a rip off bootleg cd "Yellow Peril" for a quid at a bookshop .. my thoughts were if it's junk what the hell it's only a £1 .. some clown is trying to sell a copy on a cd site I visit for £50 ? Unreal.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Yellow Peril...?

Yeah I make a point of looking around first before I buy anything, I have been lucky on e-bay only once has someone sent me a bad CD, I could tell instantly it was a poor quality lossy burn of a great album, because I still had my vinyl copy. But I got it later from a good friend who sent me his copy and it was the real deal. The album is OOP as well so I feel no remorse after getting ripped off by that guy on e-bay.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Okay thanks Sox never seen that one before.

I was never big on bootlegs, a friend of mine had 100's of them but I preferred the regular releases most of the time. For him having "Illegal" copies was all about "street cred" with his other collector friends, more than the music itself. I know there are probably some excellent bootlegs out there but I don't think I have even one in my collection.:think:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

All I have is a Zep bootleg vinyl "Melancholy Danish Pageboys" but I have all their official gear as well so that's ok. This one was so cheap I just picked it up but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, ok for novelty I suppose.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Melancholy Danish Pageboys...that is a funny name for an album...:heheh:

Yeah I am content with the factory releases and specialty labels that offer the best quality we can get more than any bootleg.

joe

Reaction score

I used to find many gems in the old delete bins back in my vinyl days.:D

I used to love flippin' through those bins:)

It was the letter miscellaneous sections (example: the section at the end of each letter where lesser known artist's records where placed as they didn't have thier own designated titled section; make sense(?)) where I found most of my gems.

Do you remember when a record was designated as OOP and the record jacket would have either have a cut corner or a small hole punched through to symbolise deleted? I'm not sure if the records companies would do this or if it was the retailers.:think:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I think the retailers would do that Joe, Sweaty would know he used to work in a record shop back years ago, I'll ask him next time he is here.

Yeah that always irritated me though, just put a stamp on the plastic wrapper and Leave my gatefold alone please and thank you.

joe

Reaction score

I was so fussy about my jackets. Every piece of vinyl I have has a jacket sleeve on it.

I didn't lend my vinyl out 'in the day' as I a couple of my buddies returned them with damage. From then on my philosphy was, "I'll be more than happy to put it on cassette for ya".

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online