Steely Dan (Official Thread)

joe

Reaction score
Re: Steely Dan

The production and engineering on all the Steely Dan's albums are A-1. What do the initials SHM stand for LG?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Super High Material CD's Joe, imported from Japan. They take much more time and do a fabulous job on the mastering and use a special formula plastic when they make their CD's.(JVC invented a clear plastic that allows the Laser reader of the player to pick up way more detail than a regular CD.) The sound difference is similar to an old vinyl album remastered by MFSL or one of the other Audiophile labels.

It just makes a great recording even better.

joe

Reaction score

^^^I kind of thought that it was an enhancement on sound quality. I haven't kept up with the technology trends in reproduction procedures.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

There are quite a few good companies who specialized in updating old classic bands catalogs.

DCC, MFSL, Rhino, SHM, and some other lesser known labels as well. All of them are an improvement over the first releases of most old vinyl transfers. However there are some In house remasters done by the original record companies themselves that are Not balanced properly, they messed with the SPL, and the natural balance as well, most audiphiles are not happy with those "Remastered" versions.

joe

Reaction score

^^^LG, what is the price difference?
I can remember when Rhino records started out. Expanding the Nuggets collection. I have some of thier old catalogues lying about.

I have a soft spot for these independent labels that re-issue classic/rare/
obscure artists of the late '60's and early 70's. Akarma out of Italy and Repertoire from Germany are a couple more.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^That's a hard question to answer Joe. MFSL is out of business so all of theirs are sought after by collectors. They also were late entering the digital era, they invented their own proprietary analog to digital conversion process, but if memory serves they were about $10.00 more per CD than a regular one. Similar for most of the other labels, some are released in complete sets others imported from Japan so they are very hard to find.

I pick them up in 2nd hand stores, ebay, pawn shops and if I can't find one through my normal sources I will use my Black Ops connections and get hold of one if possible.(Many of them are OOP now so I feel no guilt at all seeing the kids today are throwing away almost everything we have gained over the years of delivering the highest quality music possible for the convenience of their i-pods.)

joe

Reaction score

^^^I hear ya. Yet again, another example of the progress paradox.

BTW LG, what does OOP stand for? I know, I'm not a very bright boy:oyea:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

OOP = Out Of Print...you aren't the only one who feels slow at times. I had to Ask someone myself what the hell that meant months ago.:bonk:

:D

joe

Reaction score

^^^I was on the right track. I use deleted interchangeably with OOP.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I used to find many gems in the old delete bins back in my vinyl days.:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37