Steely Dan (Official Thread)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Steely Dan

I don't own a copy yet, but I've listened to it a lot through youtube and the likes, and yes defnitely excellent, I haven't tried anything else from his solo career though... are the rest of his released as good?

I never bought Morph the Cat, so I can't say. And frankly, I'm having a little bit of trouble getting into the last couple of Dan albums. That's not to say they're bad, though. As I recall it took me quite a while to get to the point where I actually enjoyed Aja, and there's no denying it's a great album. I just don't seem to have the time to do a lot of dedicated listening anymore. Or at least not as much time as I used to.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have the Nightfly, and agree with Craig about it sounding just like another SD record. Seeing Fagen is the vocalist that is only natural. I think Nightfly is his best solo album EB, but I haven't played the other two I have enough to make a final judgment on that point.

Thanks for stopping by Craig.:tup:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You are right about the Debut of course, but when I want to play One SD record at a party, it's going to be Can't Buy A Thrill. It's just plain fun, when I want some contemplative serious music I move to the others.

My favorite...well I'll start posting the albums in order and you'll all know soon enough.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

The debut album for SD, "Can't Buy A Thrill", released in 1972 is the most accessible album Becker and Fagen ever recorded. David Palmer's vocals definitely are the biggest difference, between this album and the later works, some so called purists claim he oversings on CBAT, but I disagree, sometimes a good pop/rock record with good production values is just that. This is the Party album of the discography, I wore my old vinyl copy out back in the 70's. So for those fans who think that SD was just a polished jazzy/rock band as the later albums show, this CD would be a pleasant surprise.

Here's David singing "Dirty Work".

SteelyDanCantBuyAThrillFrontCover.jpg

SteelyDanCantBuyAThrillBackCover.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I think so as well, they have that signature sound of their own, you know what I mean, one note and I know it's a Steely Dan song.:D

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

Steely Dan is some of the coolest most original music I have ever heard. It reminds me of a seedy 70's movie, kinda lounge lizardy:heheh: Love it

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Their music and lyrics always have an edge to them as well, not just pop/rock pablum from these guys.:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online