Status Quo (Official Thread)

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I noticed on a Brook flyer that Coghlan's Quo were playing in 2014.

I watched a film on BBC 2 this evening called Hello Quo (2012). It showed the circumstances of, first, Coghlan's sacking for no good reason, and then Lancaster's dismissal because he rightly thought their music had rapidly gone downhill as a result. Towards the end of the film, Rhino Edwards speaks of how much he likes the last album with accompanying footage of the band. At the end, Rossi and Parfitt meet with Lancaster and Coghlan in the car park at the front of Elstree Studios. They enter the building and one introduces the other to a young man, Dave, who is his son (can't remember whose). They plug in their equipment and start playing a blues, which might have been Black Water or something, and instantly, particularly with Lancaster, the old magic is back from Rossi and Parfitt. No matter what Edwards thinks of the latest album, it does not come close to the classic lineup. I just hope Rossi and Parfitt, who come across as a double-act, can keep their egos in check for long enough to make an album of new material with this lineup.

Something I did not know, or had forgotten, was that Edwards and the excellent Jeff Rich were recruited after working on a Parfitt solo album called Recorded Delivery (1985), which was shelved.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I caught some of that Quo programme which was very interesting. Also the TOTP Quo special with all their hits....great to hear the song "Rain" again forgotten how good it was....

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
IAt the end, Rossi and Parfitt meet with Lancaster and Coghlan in the car park at the front of Elstree Studios. They enter the building and one introduces the other to a young man, Dave, who is his son (can't remember whose). They plug in their equipment and start playing a blues, which might have been Black Water or something, and instantly, particularly with Lancaster, the old magic is back from Rossi and Parfitt.

I've said it before, but as hard as I try I can't actually think of another band from that early 70's era who released one flawless classic album every single year for 7 straight years (from Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon in 1970, to Blue for You in 1976, which was the final 'Frantic Four' album)...so that's how good they were. A good friend of mine who lives in Lancashire emailed me last night and he told me he had just watched this BBC programme, and he knows what a huge fan I am of early-mid 1970's Quo (though of almost nothing they have done since, some of which IMO is beyond embarrassing and is about a rock 'n roll as the Bay City Rollers) Anyway he's recorded the BBC show onto a DVD for me and he is mailing it to me this coming week, so I can't wait to get a hold of it and see it. He also btw also mentioned that reunion at Elstree and he told me it was 'In My Chair' which they played, which makes sense as it is early Quo at their very bluesy best. It was a single and it never appeared on any Quo album until they re-issued 'Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon' a few years ago with a bunch of great bonus tracks, though it has also now cropped up on a couple of greatest hits type compilations....oh and I see this morning, that clip is already on YouTube!!... doesn't take them long to get this stuff up on there...

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Lou: Rain is a great track and there are various versions. I had one, I think recorded live at Liverpool Pops, on a CD free with a newspaper called Status Quo and Friends. I am not sure how this track originated.

TS: You won't be disappointed with the DVD, it gives a fascinating insight to the band. The current Rossi, Parfitt, Edwards lineup seem delusional to me, although I suppose garbage like Marghueritta Time made them the big money and the OBEs, not Gerdundula. Francis Rossi comes across in the same way as he does in the media, ie. ungracious.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I was supposed to see them in London in two weeks, but the good area tickets are sold out now, I cannot stand being far at the back of the venue. That's a shame, I wanted to see the Frantic Four since it's the last tour!

Their Live! album from 1977, what a monster!

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I would be interested to see some new material from the classic line up, I wonder what they would do, saw them live but they did not do any new material.

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
i dont like their later commercial stuff.
Playing piledriver at the moment-i think ive dropped the ball here-ive deleted side 1 but when ive played side 2 i love bf mamma and paper plane-ive wiped side 1 to early it needs a re listen-im going to get 2 headed dog ?.keep on rocking guys

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Got my tickets for all 3 shows in London next week at Hammersmith. Gonna be mental. They were class last year.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
i dont like their later commercial stuff.
Playing piledriver at the moment-i think ive dropped the ball here-ive deleted side 1 but when ive played side 2 i love bf mamma and paper plane-ive wiped side 1 to early it needs a re listen-im going to get 2 headed dog ?.keep on rocking guys

Make sure you get '74 Quo, IMO the best studio album.

Quo_Status_Quo_album_cover.jpg

Don't Think It Matters

Got my tickets for all 3 shows in London next week at Hammersmith. Gonna be mental. They were class last year.

I hate you. I really do, wanted to go on Saturday, but front tickets are sold out. :heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online