Status Quo (Official Thread)

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Tonight I saw the Frantic Four at Hammersmith Apollo. I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear. The greatest night of my life. Can't wait to do it all over again tonight.

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT WANTS TO ROCK?

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Got back a couple of hours ago. Unbelievable again tonight. Wish I was going to Wembley tomorrow [now today] for the last date.

Marbles

Reaction score
Ha ha! You and me both. I think Saturday night just had the edge.

My mate and I discussed Wembley but, after two nights in such an intimate venue as the Apollo, the Arena would seem a bit impersonal and like the barn that it is! Best not spoil the memory of the last two nights.

The last time that I saw the Frantic Four on that stage was in in 1978 on the "If You Can't Stand The Heat" tour. The g/f and I were in row D. Wish I could remember it clearly now.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
They only did Reading Festival in the UK in 1978, was for tax reasons I believe. Are you thinking of June 1979 when they did about 5 nights at Hammersmith? My Dad recorded one of the shows he saw.

Best two shows I've ever seen. What a band. So completely unlike a Quo audience to just go ballistic.

Marbles, do you follow the post 1986 line-up with Rhino and Andy?

Marbles

Reaction score
Sorry - was working off the top of my head in the early hours! Yes it was 25th June '79. I remember my g/f getting a great photograph of Nuff, just as the girl in front flung up her Quo scarf and circled him in the pic.

I 'sort of' follow the current Quo. I think that "Quid Pro Quo" was the best album that they've done, possibly, since "Blue For You". I took a lot of interest in the mid-80s when they reformed because of the presence of Rhino and Jeff Rich, both ex-Judie Tzuke's band, who I'd also seen previously many times. I drifted away a bit - I'm not a big fan of the lightweight Rossi/whoever songs, I still prefer the heavier Parfitt/Lancaster compositions above almost everything. It was at Guilfest in 2005 (I was there for Marillion) when I hung around to see them again and was surprised at how much power they still had live that I really started to get interested again.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Sorry - was working off the top of my head in the early hours! Yes it was 25th June '79. I remember my g/f getting a great photograph of Nuff, just as the girl in front flung up her Quo scarf and circled him in the pic.

I 'sort of' follow the current Quo. I think that "Quid Pro Quo" was the best album that they've done, possibly, since "Blue For You". I took a lot of interest in the mid-80s when they reformed because of the presence of Rhino and Jeff Rich, both ex-Judie Tzuke's band, who I'd also seen previously many times. I drifted away a bit - I'm not a big fan of the lightweight Rossi/whoever songs, I still prefer the heavier Parfitt/Lancaster compositions above almost everything. It was at Guilfest in 2005 (I was there for Marillion) when I hung around to see them again and was surprised at how much power they still had live that I really started to get interested again.

That 79 tour was great, my Dad recorded the 26th June, the night after you went.

Agreed on Quid Pro Quo. Wouldn't go as far as Blue For You, personally think the Whatever You Want album is excellent for example. Tracks like Two Way Traffic and Dust To Gold really are top notch though.

I was also at Guilfest in 2005! Great show, sadly the only time I saw them that year, as I had tickets to Wembley Pavillion [they were renovating the Arena] which they cancelled due to Rick's throat cancer scare.

The last 4 albums, Quid Pro Quo, In Search of the Fourth Chord, The Party Ain't Over Yet and Heavy Traffic are all excellent IMO. They're on a hot streak at the moment album wise, considering some of the absolute shit that came before that.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I recently got a Japanese version of On the Level and it sounds really good as you would expect from these version. It has really great live versions of Roadhouse Blues and Gerdundula as bonuses. There are Japanese versions of the first five albums, so I'll have to save my pennies. There is also the Frantic Four Reunion CD too!

Last edited:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
6a00d8341c3afb53ef0192ac5c8a4a970d-pi.jpg

Various life size rhinos were displayed and auctioned for charity in Southampton during the summer. Bassist Rhino Edwards bought this one for around £4,000 for his garden.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
I can't remember if I told you Big Ears, but John Coghlan's Quo are at the Brook in Southampton in January if you were interested. Seen them a couple of times, ****ing brilliant.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online