Status Quo (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Status Quo a legendary band formed in the late 60's that are one of the rare exceptions in the rock & roll world, they have been together for 40 years.(Well the two Main songwriters have been part of SQ since the very beginning). After their early psychedelic period they became a straight ahead hard rocking boogie band, and they have pretty much stayed true to that style for decades now, inspiring a hard core nucleus of fans that have stayed with them for all these years.

The first song I remember listening to by SQ was "Rockin' All Over The World". So I bought the vinyl record, but that was it, I never kept up with them after that. I have 3 SQ albums now on CD, considered their best recordings of the band in their prime, the 70's. After digging into them a little bit I was surprised to find that by the mid 90's they had surpassed all other rock bands in English recording history an astonishing 50 hit singles. Their popularity in England and Europe has remained rock solid for decades, through band line-up changes and a legal battle with one founding member to continue using the "Status Quo" name after he quit the band, and they are still active today.

One of the true success stories of a band that has stayed true to their fans for over 40+ years and counting.

The first song I heard by SQ...all those years ago.

I probably play this album more than any other, love the name too.

Last edited by a moderator:

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Re: Status Quo

I'm a big fan and I've really gotten into them again in recent years. Have about 10 albums by them including Heavy Traffic, their first comeback album from a few years ago. Still going, still releasing quality.

Very underrated band, imo.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Europe and England have always loved and supported them Flip, but over here they are an afterthought for some reason. Kind of like Uriah Heep in that regard, but it does prove beyond any doubt that a band can do great quality albums and keep on rocking even without big success in the US market.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

Weeeeeell yes and no - in Europe and the UK they kinda have a label that says 'old crap' :heheh:

They're seen by 'real' rockers or today's rockers as a bit toothless and harmless... over the top and gone. Not many even realize they're still going. In the 70's they were indeed very big over here and up till In the army Now and Live Aid, sure, people dug them. But since, well, Live Aid they've dropped off most people's radars - as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong, brits??

Heavy Traffic, The search for the 4th Chord and one more recent album were all rock solid - but most people don't care anymore. As far as I can tell. I feel very alone rawking out to my Quo albums :D :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I was referring more to their older die hard fans, that still enjoy their music, rather than new kids who have their own bands they follow. But even if they are losing their popularity, they had a great long run.

T_Dude

Reaction score

Weeeeeell yes and no - in Europe and the UK they kinda have a label that says 'old crap' :heheh:

They're seen by 'real' rockers or today's rockers as a bit toothless and harmless... over the top and gone. Not many even realize they're still going. In the 70's they were indeed very big over here and up till In the army Now and Live Aid, sure, people dug them. But since, well, Live Aid they've dropped off most people's radars - as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong, brits??

Heavy Traffic, The search for the 4th Chord and one more recent album were all rock solid - but most people don't care anymore. As far as I can tell. I feel very alone rawking out to my Quo albums :D :heheh:

I think this is correct (unfortunately). Despite releasing some excellent albums, I don't think the Quo have ever had the respect they deserve.

For the record Forty Five Hundred Times is my favourite song of theirs. :grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I think there is still a solid fanbase though the numbers have probably dipped, but those who talk about the halcyon days of the early seventies and the hard road work Quo put in do so with a passion. Following The End Of The Road Tour in 84' and Alan Lancaster's departure Quo's sound took a slight pop turn that met with mixed reviews. Their shows however still seem to attract a healthy number of folk both old and young alike.

A couple of pearlers.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice to see you in here Sox. If I remember the background Alan Lancaster was the one who sued the remaining members to try and stop them from using Status Quo...:think:

I always think of Pink Floyd's fight when Roger was kicked out and the remaining members kept the name, and the judge ruled in their favor as well.

Saxon did the same thing,,,after their first five or six albums they went more for a pop metal type sound, but that didn't get them their breakthrough in the States that they were hoping for.

I was amazed at how many hit single SQ had in England, I had no idea they were that popular across the pond.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Yes LG they were huge over here in the 70's like Slade. I think they appealed to the working man a great good time sound no nonsense gritty blues/rock. I was in the crowd at Milton Keynes on the "End Of The Road Tour" and it was obvious from the large audience responce that they would carry on as a band in some way. I think John Coughlan the original drummer had left a couple of years before about 81'-82' cos the sound was softening.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Great to see a thread about these guys LG, I have been a fan for many years now and love the psychedelic music they did in the 60's, you could see the way they were going as they had the same sort of riffs in the 60's but heavier in the 70's. Like some of the others on here I agree that the sound dipped and they became a bit of a party band with their records but the live shows still sold out.

I saw them last December and have seen them twice before that and they put on a very good show, playing some classics from the 60's as well as the 70's and onwards.
I think there are a lot of fans still out there as the shows are usually a seel out. I haven't heard the last few albums but I have 15 or more in my collection and still play them. I hope they carry on for a few more years.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online