Starcastle (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Official Website

Starcastle is a USA based progressive rock band that formed in 1969, and were heavily influenced by the British progressive rock movement. They have very tight compositions and instrumentation, with a sound that I consider a cross between Rush and Yes.

The band never recieved true sucess, being labelled as a "Yes" clone. Although their compositions, lyrics, and performance are totally original. Poor management and several band line-up changes, including the death of Gary Strater (the band's founder), have kept this band from achieving its true potential.

Discography

1976 Starcastle
1977 Fountains of Light
1977 Citadel
1978 Real to Reel
2001 Chronos I
2007 Song of Times

The early albums feature Terry Luttrell as lead vocals (Luttrell was lead vocalist for REO Speedwagon). The release of 1977, "Citadel", is my favorite from the early works of the band.

starcastle+-+front.jpg

Band members on this album:
Terry Luttrell - lead vocals; Gary Strater - bass guitar, bass pedals, vocals; Stephen Tassler - drums, percussion, vocals; Herb Schildt - organ, synthesizers, pianos; Matthew Stewart - guitars, vocals; Stephen Hagler - guitars, vocals.

The band released an album in 2007:

album-song-of-times.jpg

This is a forgotten progressive rock band that deserves to be checked out!

What do you think?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Starcastle

I never paid much attention to them, but I do like the album covers.:D

It's too bad they got labeled as a "Yes Clone", every band deserves a chance on their own merits, and how many truly unique bands are there?

I'll see if I can fine a good copy of Citadel laying around.

Oblivion

Reaction score

Yeah nice covers :) I never heard of them... they sound quite good although I'd never listen to them in an active way.. not really my kind of rock.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

My brother owned the first one, but I never played it, found a copy of the second one Magic posted, in HQ so I'll check it out.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Starcastle

OK.. Now I'm just throwing this band out there for a few of the prog rockers on here.. I have a few LP's by them and they are a sound like YES band..
Enjoy and comment if you like..Here's the allmusic write up..

Starcastle (along with Styx, Fireballet, and Kansas) were part of a belated stateside response to British progressive rock. With Gary Strater's melodic bass lines, Herb Schildt's Moog runs, and Terry Luttrell's sometimes precious vocals, the band was clearly modeled from Yes, particularly in its first two releases. While Starcastle usually came out the worse for such comparisons, there were genuine moments of fine, intricate musicianship. Citadel (1977) showed some musical growth away from their "Yes-lite" phase, but the band weathered 1978 about as badly as their British inspirations and fell apart after the artistically and financially disastrous album Reel to Real.

Strater retained the band's name for a revamped configuration in the '80s, and this lineup produced some music that overcame the long shadow over the band's credibility in progressive circles. Unfortunately, no albums were released in this period. When Starcastle reconvened in the mid-1990s, there was talk by band members of releasing a new album, a possibility heightened by the CD reissue of their back catalog in 1998.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

OMG!! This stuff sounds so good! I remember the name but sad to say I don't own anything :wa:

Still listening and I'll do some shopping later. Halfway through the first track here!

:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I really like Starcastle, I highly recommend the album "Citadel".

If you dont mind, Thumper, can I merge this with an existing Starcastle thread?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

There was a thread already!! :heheh:

Nice! Now there is more STARCASTLE to go around!!

The vocals do have that YES feel as well as a little CSN :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Yes they do, MP. The critics didn't receive Starcastle too nicely, calling them "clones", but I think their music has its own originality and they are worth the effort to check into.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have a couple of their albums now, but haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

Thumper I never knew you were a Proggie fan like the rest of us.:heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online