Small Faces (Official Thread)

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score
Re: Small Faces = how did they not catch on in the States ?

I got my first Small Faces 45 from trading 45's with my cousin. That was Itchycoo Park. I had never heard them before but I sure did like that flanging they put on the record. It was all too beautiful!!

They definitely had a good lineup in the band. I always liked Humble Pie too. Tin Soldier is one of my favorite videos.

"Itchycoo Park" was the first British record to use flanging, the technique of playing two identical master tapes simultaneously but altering the speed of one of them very slightly by touching the "flange" of one tape reel, which yielded a distinctive comb-filtering effect; it was an effect developed by Olympic Studios engineer George Chkiantz in 1966.

Last edited:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Talking of Ronnie Lane, this is an album I bought nearly 30 years ago, it was in a bargain bin for 50p ... a diamond find.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Talking of Ronnie Lane, this is an album I bought nearly 30 years ago, it was in a bargain bin for 50p ... a diamond find.

Very cool album, Sox. Half the songs are sung by Pete and the other half sung by Ronnie Lane. Clapton also appears on a couple of songs.

I remember the first time I listened to ''Rough Mix'', I thought it was good. Second time listening, I thought the album was pretty damn good. I'd say it's for hardcore Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane fans. I like the album a lot.

snowblue

Reaction score

Speaking of Ronnie Lane, here's a nice clip of him with his band Slim Chance in the early 70's. As a side note, also in the band were Gallacher and Lyle, who wrote and had hits with 'Breakaway', 'Heart On My Sleeve, etc. They also wrote Art Garfunkel'***** 'Bright Eyes'.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I knew about the Small Faces, but like Dave mentioned I just never followed them. Maybe their label didn't support them enough, back in those days the relationship between the radio/disc jockeys and the record companies was critical for bands to break out.

When FM came along with AOR and rebel DJ's, that changed everything and we heard about all kinds of obscure bands, even in small towns like the ones I grew up in.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

I knew about the Small Faces, but like Dave mentioned I just never followed them. Maybe their label didn't support them enough, back in those days the relationship between the radio/disc jockeys and the record companies was critical for bands to break out.

When FM came along with AOR and rebel DJ's, that changed everything and we heard about all kinds of obscure bands, even in small towns like the ones I grew up in.
I always knew of The Small Faces in the 70's, but rarely heard them on the radio. After finding out who was actually in the band I chalked up their notoriety more for being famous for launching other people's career than for their own success (save for a few radio hits).

Kind of like how the metal band London became known as a launching pad for people to move on and find fame with other bands -- most notably Nikki Sixx (Motley Crue) , Blackie Lawless (WASP), Izzy Stradlin (G&R) and Fred Coury (Cinderella).

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

the small faces are good but i don't think they can even compare to the Faces. now they were a great band

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

the small faces are good but i don't think they can even compare to the Faces. now they were a great band

Two totally different bands. And totally different sounding bands.

So, Whatcha Gonna Do About It, Lady?

Dance, baby!

:df:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online