Small Faces (Official Thread)

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Re: Small Faces = how did they not catch on in the States ?

Ogden%27s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Wow, Mr. Shadow, that was EXCELLENT.

Thanks for posting that, I really enjoyed watching that. :grinthumb

:cheers:

Kind of explains why the Small Faces never made in big in the States - they were being ripped off by bad management.

It's a shame what happened to Ronnie Lane. He suffered from MS (multiple sclerosis) and couldn't afford treatment, after years of hits and working so hard.

I personally, kind of felt I helped Ronnie Lane out a bit. I attended a benefit concert at Madison Square Garden for Ronnie Lane, that featured Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Joe Cocker, Kenny Jones, Ronnie Wood, Paul Rodgers, back in the 80's. Ronnie Lane came out at the end of the night and sang ''Goodnight Irene''. A very special night.

Last edited:

Flower

retired
Reaction score

GroovyMan said:
I personally, kind of felt I helped Ronnie Lane out a bit. I attended a benefit concert at Madison Square Garden for Ronnie Lane, that featured Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Joe Cocker, Kenny Jones, Ronnie Wood, Paul Rodgers, back in the 80's. Ronnie Lane came out at the end of the night and sang ''Goodnight Irene''. A very special night.

Sorry about Ronnie ... but WOW to his buddies for helping him out ... :grinthumb

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score

Wow, Mr. Shadow, that was EXCELLENT.

Thanks for posting that, I really enjoyed watch that. :grinthumb

Kind of explains why the Small Faces never made in big in the States - they were being ripped off by bad management.

It's a shame what happened to Ronnie Lane. He suffered from MS (multiple sclerosis) and couldn't afford treatment, after years of hits and working so hard.

Mr. Shadow, excellent subject band.:grinthumb

The Small Faces, The Creation, The Action - lots of great mod bands that get lost in the shadow of The Who and the Kinks.

Two words that equal bad management: Don Arden. He certainly was no Peter Grant.

Ronnie Lane was truly one of a kind. I highly recommend The Passing Show DVD to learn even more about Ronnie Lane. It's a loving tribute and documentary about him. Seek it out!:cheers2

Attachments

• PASSING SHOW COVER.jpg
    PASSING SHOW COVER.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 84

Cincinnatus

Reaction score

I am not of the age to have heard them in the 60's but I've been a fan for a long time and could never quite understand it . Does not suprise me though that they were not played alot on American radio , at least not the deeper album cuts . Some things never change I suppose .

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

They are great! Thanks everyone for all the videos and to Flower for the Info.

It is amazing how many bands went under the radar......This is why I love the forum, I get to discover these bands. I will definitely do a little more homework on Small Faces :tup:

By the time I was really old enough to get into music, this group was gone.....

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

I believe the Brit Mod band Small Faces was every bit the equal of most if not all of the British Invasion bands that hit big in the States. Why did they not catch on and why are they so overlooked ? I don't get it .:wtf::wtf:
I'm sure The Small Faces had some fans in America (the 60's were a bit before my time), but in retrospect I just don't think their musical output was really in the same league as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Cream, The Who, Blue Cheer or even The Dave Clark Five and The Kinks for that matter.

I really only knew of The Small Faces in the 70's because there were several benefit concerts for The Ronnie Lane Foundation (that's when I first learned who Ronnie Lane was), and then of course when Kenny Jones became The Who's drummer after Keith Moon's premature death. (I knew Steve Marriott from Humble Pie, of course, but didn't know he got his start in The Small Faces).

I also don't recall The Small faces getting much radio airtime either, so they apparently didn't have the same staying power on 1970's radio that so many of the other 60's bands did.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, I know, I'm just relating my personal experience and opinion. :)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Hmmm....I wasn't around (musically) when the Small Faces were popular... but, I did hear them a lot of FM radio in the 70's, here in the New York - Long Island area. (Itchycoo Park, Tin Soldier, Lazy Sunday, etc). Also, I was a fan of Humble Pie which featured Steve Marriott from The Small Faces. Also knew The Faces, who featured Rod Stewart and Small Face members, Ronnie Lane, Kenny Jones and Ian McLagan. So there were known here in the States, after the 60's. And like Dave78 said, I'm sure they had fans here in the U.S. in the 60's (and they did, of course!)

Two words that equal bad management: Don Arden. He certainly was no Peter Grant.

For those who don't know - Don Arden's daughter is Sharon Osbourne.

Ronnie Lane was truly one of a kind. I highly recommend The Passing Show DVD to learn even more about Ronnie Lane. It's a loving tribute and documentary about him. Seek it out!:cheers2

2686d1274740896-small-faces-%3D-how-did-they-not-catch-states-passing-show-cover-jpg

I want this!...never seen this before....I'll put this DVD on my list.

Thanks Odysseus!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online