Official Website

Small Faces (1966)
From The Beginning (1967)
Small Faces (1967)
Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake (1968)
The Autumn Stone (1969)
Playmates (1977)
78 in the Shade (1978)

I believe the Brit Mod band Small Faces was every bit the equal of most if not all of the British Invasion bands that hit big in the States. Why did they not catch on and why are they so overlooked ? I don't get it .:wtf::wtf:

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Small Faces = how did they not catch on in the States ?

Fill us in, Cincy....who is Small Faces?

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

Could it have been lack of airplay and a lack of number one songs? I remember hearing Tin Soldier and Itchycoo Park quite a bit here in the states. I would think the 45's sold well. I did pick up some Small Faces LPs later while collecting old albums. I think Lazy Sunday, Here Come the Nice, Whatcha Gonna Do About It, Rollin Over and Shake could have done better here but I don't even remember hearing them on the radio back then.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Brilliant Band ... :cheers2

Tin Soldier

rtbuck

Reaction score

Steve Marriott, Kenny Jones, & Ronnie Lane in the same band along with Ian Maclagen...you can't go wrong. There are so many bands that I've always wondered why they couldn't break it in the States & I agree this is one of them. I especially liked what they turned into...The Faces. The Faces debut album 'First Step' with Ron Wood & Rod Stewart was actually under the name Small Faces. The Faces are one of my favorite bands but I did like the Small Faces stuff. I also liked their 2 seventies albums 'Playmates' & '78 in the Shade' with Rich Wills who later joined Foreigner on bass

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score

Yeah, Steve Marriott is legend. They followed path ot the Who, who turned from mod to hard rock with influences of psychedelic rock. Autumn Stone is great album. Too bad they never made it big in States.

Flower

retired
Reaction score

Small Faces

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Background information
Origin London, England
Genres Rock, R&B, psychedelic pop, beat, soul, pop
Years active 1965-1969, 1975-1978
Labels Decca, Immediate, Atlantic
Associated acts Humble Pie, Faces, Wild Horses
Website thesmallfaces.com
Former members
Steve Marriott
Ronnie Lane (1965-1969, 1975)
Kenney Jones
Ian McLagan (1966-1969, 1975-1978)
Jimmy Winston (1965)
Rick Wills (1977-1978)
Jimmy McCulloch (1977)

The Small Faces were an English rock and roll band from east London, heavily influenced by American rhythm and blues. The group was founded in 1965 by members Steve Marriott, Ronnie Lane, Kenney Jones, and Jimmy Winston, although by 1966 Winston was replaced by Ian McLagan as the band's keyboardist.

The band is remembered as one of the most acclaimed and influential mod groups of the 1960s, With memorable hit songs such as "Itchycoo Park", "Lazy Sunday", "All or Nothing", "Tin Soldier", and their concept album Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake, they later evolved into one of the UK's most successful psychedelic acts before disbanding in 1969. After the Small Faces disbanded, three of the members were joined by Ronnie Wood as guitarist, and Rod Stewart as their lead vocalist, both from The Jeff Beck Group, and the new line-up was renamed the Faces.

They are also acknowledged as being one of the biggest original influences on the Britpop movement of the 1990s.

Despite the fact they were together just four years in their original incarnation, the Small Faces' music output from the mid to late sixties remains among the most acclaimed British mod and psychedelic music of that era. (A revived version of the band also existed from 1975 to 1978.)

In 1996, the Small Faces were belatedly awarded the Ivor Novello Outstanding Contribution to British Music "Lifetime Achievement" award

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

I'm not sure why The Small Faces never made it big here in the U.S. - I'm sure there are a number of reasons - but they're considered legends nowadays in classic rock circles and have been for decades.

I'm a big fan of The Small Faces. Love 'em.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online