selling your soul in music

Clockwork

Baby Rocker
Reaction score
ok i just had a very long convo with a buddy of mine in which he tried to convice me that some musicians sell their soul... now i believe in god and all but i gave up on religion a long time ago, and i just cant accept the idea of people selling their souls, i mean seriously... now he showed me what he called "evidence" in which bob dylan said he sold his soul on 60 minutes... i mean the interview is there and he did say he made a bargain to get to where he is at now, but i always thought that as being "the norm" for most blues musicians, because alot of them claim this, to me it's intertwined with the genre... so i was wondering how many people out there buy in to this kind of stuff? and if you do no offense or anything but.... c'mon

Harkat

Reaction score
My question is who do you sell your soul to?
In most religions the only spiritual being that you can sell your soul too (in that sense) is the antagonist, the devil.
And if you don't believe in any spiritual beings, then that poses another question altogether. Do we even have souls altogether?

Clockwork

Baby Rocker
Reaction score
hmmm never looked at it that way but very good point... im not trying to get philosophical here though :p but i see where your coming from harkat

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can relate to what clockwork is trying to convey in his question.

Selling one's soul to the music has nothing to do with religion. It is a lifestyle, a way of life, a complete belief and dedication to what you love, that being music. It isn't a way of worship but instead an emotional attachment. Lyrics and music can be a powerful tool of expressionism.

I probably am not the best person to answer this fully because I am not a musician or a vocalist. From what I understand from friends who do play music, is that the music becomes a part of them......they feel the music, they live the music. Music moves their soul, it makes them who they are.

I don't fully understand this, but I can relate. It is like music is their child and they live for and through the child *music*.

Pretty deep question to think about actually. :think:

Clockwork

Baby Rocker
Reaction score
yes magic... the way i see it is when you start doing shows and songs for just the money and not the love of music, you are selling your soul... since music is creation, it is apart of you, it comes from inside, i was watching a jimi hendrix documentary and i like what he said, this isnt exact quote but it was along the line of "it's ok to make money and sing the blues, but when you start singing the blues to make money, then that's when you lose the love and passion for the music, and that's when you start going downhill"... or something along those lines.

but my buddy was litteraly trying to convice me that selling your soul means selling your soul to {insert whatever evil diety you believe in here} and THAT is what i find unlikely.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I sold my soul to rock and roll....:D

Can't remember who penned that song but it always makes me smile.

...I don't believe in the literal translation of selling your "Id" to a demon or devil to achieve success in the world we live in. You come into this world with whatever gifts/burdens already part of you, if you sacrifice everything to achieve fame and success as a musician I can see that being taken figuratively as selling your soul.

But as for selling whatever services you might have to offer to the "Hellspawn" when you are done with your body in this reality,,,I simply don't believe that.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Humm.....I don't know. I would have to see what a person defines as their "soul" first.

So, by your friend's definition, if you sell any form of art or music at all, you are selling your soul for that music. I am sorry, but I dont buy into that theory.

It is like the street corner artist, with the cup for tips, they are playing for peanuts but still playing to get the peanuts.......I dont think they are a sell out.

Clockwork

Baby Rocker
Reaction score
yes i agree magic... by his definition if you are basically a "superstar" then that's how you got there, basically what he was trying to tell me (which i disagree heavily upon) was that bob dylan had minimal amount of talent based on his voice... in his word "how can a man that has a voice like that become so large in an industry based on singing?" as i was trying to explain that he was a great musician and even greater songwriter, people valued his poetic approach, he could not believe that, as i couldnt believe what he was saying, im pretty much over it now though, the discussion was useless as no one can change another persons mind, but i do believe that whole doing it just for the money thing, that's when you become, like freddie mercury said, "a musical prostitue", doing the same songs over and over in concert can get to the point where you get sick of your own material, and in the end you realize that it's money your chasing instead of that passion to move people, ehhh a little off topic, but yea i was little tight after our discussion so i came here and "let it all out" so to speak... im fine now thought :D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Bob Dylan was a fabulous poet and lyricist. The beauty of his music is the 'reality' of his voice. He didn't have to sing with full octive vocal ranges, he could have spoken his lyrics and people would still be in awe. That is what is so grand about poetry, and Bob Dylan. Did he sell out......naw! He has always been a creative man. If he didn't love what he was doing, he would have given up years ago.

Aero

Reaction score
Has anyone seen Crossroads? It stars Ralph Macchio as a guitarist who wants to be the best blues player in the world. He has to learn the craft before eventually going up against the top competition, Steve Vai.

Anyhow, the "deal with the devil" comes up in this film.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online