Screaming & Growling

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Robert Plant could belt out some screams, too. It all depends on the music and to what extreme the vocalist screams, squeals, or growls. I will listen to anything at least once, but some of that stuff assaults my ears.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Oh, but it's okay when Jim Morrison does it? :D

Barely. Methinks replacing some of those sound effects with mouth organ, clarinet or a guitar lick would have improved the record.

Albeit Jim was never the huge offender that some of these singers have been in more recent years.

:pirate:

JakeMM626

Reaction score
I guess the debate will never truly be resolved since music appeals to everyone differently. Some enjoy music for relaxation, others use it as motivation and inspiration, and some enjoy rage, anger, and release in music. That's at least how I see it.:rolleyes:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
*reads sig* You like BURZUM Foxypage? After mine own heart are thou?

I can't say I like everything, I only like the few things that connect uniquely with me. But I looooove me some growling and screaming. Singing, honestly, seems kind of silly to me compared to screaming. A scream is something real, something you find in nature. Singing, what's that supposed to be? What're you, a bird? Or worse, a bard? :D

Of course I love 'em both and probably 95% of the music I like is regrettably lax on the screaming. But a good scream is worth about a million stanzas of mere singing. And someone mentioned music for relaxation... at that note I must express how harsh vocals can be excruciatingly soothing. Think of how very deep some of these voices are. Like Barry White plus more. Then take into account the innate hypnotic rhythm inherent in music which makes use of note repetition and extensive vamping. Then add the fact that the lyrics can be indecipherable, so that you have no choice but to sync your mind into the melody of it all. I'm not into the melodic stuff myself, but I've known several people who use extreme metal as their means of calming down and relaxing.

Actually, add in the fact that the songs are frequently in the double digits minute-wise, and their elegant, sprawling suite-like nature. I'd put on some extreme metal to relax before pretty much any other genre.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Some of us are just open minded and like all kinds of music.

There are only two or three genres of music I don't like, so my variety is wide ranging, and I just don't get the growling/screaming/pig squeals that some newer metal bands use as a main staple in their music. It is just above rap/hip-hop on my least favorite genre list, too bad because some of the music is really interesting.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:
Actually, add in the fact that the songs are frequently in the double digits minute-wise, and their elegant, sprawling suite-like nature.

I'm with the Ramones and the Sex Pistols. Sprawling suite-like numbers make the answer to the "How do you define excess?" question pretty obvious.

:rolleyes:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's because Fox's have a limited attention span...:lmao:

I Love sprawling epic long songs, many times prog bands get some stick for "Excess" from the elitists or Punk Rockers like Fox, but many of those extended tracks are made up of smaller bits, that if you Take the time to listen you can see they are different but keep the main theme of the entire piece.

I would bet Fox's hen house, that many people who don't like long prog songs don't enjoy full length classical music either.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Did you know that the "Fox" genus is listed among the "Ten most Odiferous Animals"...?

Apparently their Musk is so powerful you can't mistake it for any other critter if it's marked it's territory.:grinthumb

Just a tidbit for my buddy to think about.:heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online