Screaming & Growling

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I think I understand exactly where you're coming from. There are bands that I love which I doubt I would even stand if I listened to them today instead of when I was younger and more open.

Truth be told, I wouldn't even call it an inconsistency on your part. I can completely understand looking at these bands as excessive. I just think they ought to be digested based on the rammifactions of their genre. 'Course, if I were to practice what I preach in this case, I'd never get to lambast some overproduced piece of crap again. Because surely overproduced crap is fully intended to be overproduced crap, right? :confused:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You're ignoring two details:

1. Singing, like birds, is or at least can be pleasant to the ears.

2. Singing, unlike screaming and growling, takes some talent.

:drums:

I am here to disagree with you Hepcat. Growling takes some talent & practice, especially if the vocalist wants the growls to be understood. There are throat exercises and techniques they use to sharpen and define the growls. Speaking growls are the most difficult, and there are some metal vocalists that are really good at this technique. Also, from my understanding, there are pitch variations in growls just like there are in regular singing.

Improper growling can ruin a person's vocal chords in a very short time period, so most of these "growlers" have practiced or had some type of training.

I am not a fan of growling, but that doesn't mean I dont appreciate the skill that goes into the art :tup:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
AAG I can see you are passionate about your Black metal, honestly it is among the Worst genres of metal ever in my opinion. The subject matter is depressing almost all the time, many of the artists themselves are borderline psychotic,,,Varg Vikernes anyone?

I will always consider "Singing" to be greater than this momentary "Fad" of Cookie Monsters trying to cough out a lung to impress their fans.:D

Different strokes for different folks, I get my entertainment from vastly differing kinds of music, but not this variety. It will fade into obscurity soon enough regardless, and maybe it will remain underground indefinitely, but then again maybe it will disappear forever.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
^^Did you know that the "Fox" genus is listed among the "Ten most Odiferous Animals"...?

Apparently their Musk is so powerful you can't mistake it for any other critter if it's marked it's territory.:grinthumb

Just a tidbit for my buddy to think about.:heheh:

You say that like it's a bad thing ...

skunk.jpg

LG never thought that I would read this thread ....

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am shocked you found that post Flower, I am positive Fox hasn't seen it yet, it's not like him to miss something that obvious.:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Fox, I think LG smells where you have marked your territory!

:heheh::cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm not one to be drawn down to the level of personal attacks, that's all.

:violin2:

:heheh:

Let's face it Fox I nailed you fair and square, you are either sleepy or your dotage is creeping up on you at last.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
AAG I can see you are passionate about your Black metal, honestly it is among the Worst genres of metal ever in my opinion. The subject matter is depressing almost all the time, many of the artists themselves are borderline psychotic,,,Varg Vikernes anyone?

I will always consider "Singing" to be greater than this momentary "Fad" of Cookie Monsters trying to cough out a lung to impress their fans.:D

Different strokes for different folks, I get my entertainment from vastly differing kinds of music, but not this variety. It will fade into obscurity soon enough regardless, and maybe it will remain underground indefinitely, but then again maybe it will disappear forever.

Hate harsh vocals all you want, man, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But you need to go see a doctor if you think it's just some momentary fad. It's been going on since the early 1980s, it's integral in several opposing styles of music, and it's featured in countless chart-accosting bands, not just recently but since the 90s and earlier. Love 'em or hate 'em, harsh vocals are a varied and widespread vocal technique. If you're expecting every single style of music that depends on harsh vocals to fade away, and every single chart-topping band that used harsh vocals to be forgotten, you're delusional. Something that immensely large-scale will not happen in our lifetime.

You don't like harsh vocals, so it's no wonder that you're not aware of how prominent they are, nothing wrong with that, but they've been mainstream since the dawn of the 90s and are essential for so many different waves of music. Harsh vocals will probably be around until rock music is forgotten. Sure, screamo will fall out of vogue and metalcore will fall out of vogue and black metal will fall out of vogue, but just like when death metal fell out of vogue, and grindcore fell out of vogue, and groove metal fell out of vogue, and nu metal fell out of vogue, and hardcore fell out of vogue, and post-hardcore fell out of vogue, new styles which utilize similar techniques will emerge as sure as people will continue to find a use for the synthesizer and the guitar.

As for Black Metal, we can only agree to disagree. Psychosis has never shied me away from an artist (Syd Barrett, anyone?). And while their actions may have been highly subversive, the lyrics aren't that dark a lot of the time. For example, Varg Vikernes's titular song, the song baring the name of his band "Burzum," could scarcely be considered depressing. "When night falls, she covers the world in darkness, suddenly... life has new meaning." A lot of Black Metal is about beauty and wonder.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online