Saxon (Official Thread)

taha

Reaction score
Re: Saxon

This will be the next band I go postal on ( get it,, HAHA )
and start buying like crazy

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That is a unique way of putting it.:D

They have a huge catalog, and I don't even mind some of the Pop metal albums when they were trying to sound a little like Foreigner, going for that breakthrough in the States, didn't work out though they just pissed off their regular fans and soon enough were playing Balls to the Walls metal again.:rock:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

After Crusader, came one of the most controversial albums Saxon ever recorded, "Innocence Is No Excuse". Fans of their earlier albums were torn by this one, the polished production combined with a perceived change in musical direction seemed to many like Saxon was abandoning their roots. I think bands have to mix things up every once in a while, repeating yourself is hard for any creative artists in music or art or writing. The fallout after this album resulted in Byford's songwriting partner, bassist Steve Dawson leaving the band, which was a hard knock to recover from.

Personally I enjoy listening to this one, while it is not as "Raw" as some earlier work, but I for one appreciate taking the time to get the best sound on the album. The better the sound quality on an album the happier I am. If I were trying to get a fan into Saxon that liked mellower music as a rule, I would probably play this CD. It is accessible and if you liked it you could always check out their earlier albums later on.

Call of the WIld.

Saxon_-_Innocense_Is_No_Excuse-Fron.jpg

Saxon_-_Innocense_Is_No_Excuse-Back.jpg

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Good thread good band . Good to see SAXON getting plenty of attention.I have 4 of their albums all are top notch:cheers: but unlike you LG I never did take to the "crusader" album...so i have neglected SAXON for years. Which later albums do you recommend ?... Consider i like them HEAVY

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Which four albums/CD's do you have?

I think Dogs of War and Unleash the Beast would be in your wheelhouse LOU. I've been playing Unleash the Beast...constantly the last few weeks.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

:) Thanks for your recommendations LG and Taha !
the 4 albums I own on vinyl are
Wheels of steel
Strong arm of the law
Denim and Leather
Power and the glory

Last edited by a moderator:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I quite like the "Crusader" album Lou, anyway Saxon are now on the bill for the High Voltage Festival. Should be a great weekend.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I would love to go see them Sox, I have been in a "Saxon" mode for over two months now. I'll post the next album tomorrow, but I might do two or three at once this time, we are entering the period that even I as a Stalwart fan of theirs can't wholeheartedly recommend as worthy additions to the Saxon Stronghold.;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Time to update this thread, the next Two albums were not among Saxon's best in my opinion. I have played them both the last couple of days and something is just missing. Rock The Nations from 1986 is below average, and 1988's Destiny is nothing great either. I love Saxon to death, and I don't like to make disparaging remarks about any of my bands as a rule, but honestly unless you are a Completionist, I would pass on both of these.

There is a reason for the change in Saxon's sound on these recordings, this was during their "Pseudo-Foreigner" phase, when they consciously tried to break into the American market in a big way, abandoning their roots to try and reach a wider audience. While the previous record, Innocence Is No Excuse also reflected that desire, it is by far the best of the three, so just pick it up and leave these two on the shelf.:cheers:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray