Ronnie James Dio (Official Tribute Thread)

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Re: Official Ronnie James Dio tribute thread

^^^Listening to it now - very metal indeed! :heheh:

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score

Somebody may have already posted this, but here's a song the RJD cut with the Prophets long before he became known for his gloom and doom lyrical style. I thought it was a joke at first, but a quick googling confirmed it as the real deal.

frozenprince

Reaction score

One of the last TRUE god's of MUSIC, not just metal but music, has passed on, I only can give my sincerist condolences do his friends, and family. god finding out your hero is passed is like taking a knife to your heart, I modeled everything in my vocal style after RJD, he was as has been stated the quintesential metal vocalist. Rest in peace Ronnie, you will NEVER be forgotten and you will always be loved, HEROES AND LEGENDS NEVER DIE RONNIE WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU!

I think rainbow in the dark is appropriate for this, Rock in Peace RJD, Rock in Peace.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

VOLBEAT Frontman: RONNIE JAMES DIO Was The 'King Of Heavy Rock Music' - May 19, 2010
Singer/guitarist Michael Poulsen of Danish metal rock 'n' rollers VOLBEAT has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"I came off stage in Zagreb with the biggest smile on my face because I/VOLBEAT had just been playing a great show with METALLICA. My drummer Jon Larsen was the first guy in the dressing room after the show, and he looked at me with a very sad face and said: Michael, Dio is dead. And I went into a black empty hole in my mind. WHAT, FUUUUUUUUCK,' were my first words.

"Jon knew I was , and still am, a very big Dio fan. It almost felt like the heavy metal scene music died that second and everything will be over. Because WHO the hell's gonna take over the greatest voice of all time in heavy metal music history? HE WAS THE CHOSEN ONE, THE BEST, AND FOR REAL.

"For me Dio was the greatest songwriter and frontman a heavy rock band could wish for. He sang like he was 20 years old to the end, I was asking myself every time I saw him live, how the hell does he do that?

"Dio was the was the first heavy thing I was listening to. His work in ELF, DIO, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH/HEAVEN & HELL truly inspired me and will do for the rest of my life.

"There was only one king of rock 'n' roll = Elvis Presley. And there was only one KING of heavy rock music = Ronnie James Dio. And there will be no one like him again, his throne will be empty.

"Dio will be missed forever.

"May you rest in peace, Ronnie. We will all proud keep the horns up and the Dio flag high.

"I wish you a good and safe journey. Follow the rainbow.

"With love and respect."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

AXEL RUDI PELL: RONNIE JAMES DIO 'Live On Forever In My Heart And In My Music' - May 19, 2010
German guitarist Axel Rudi Pell has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW, ELF):

"Ronnie was and ever will be one of my heroes. I remember when he said, 'Axel, my son, let me hug you,' at the beginning of last year's HEAVEN & HELL German tour, where we'd been the special guests.

"It was such a great honor for us to open for them and we really enjoyed the tour.

"I met Ronnie a couple of times during the last ten years and he always was very friendly and nice to me, my wife and my band...

"Ronnie... thank you so much for all your music, lyrics, inspirations and friendship. You will live on forever in my heart and in my music.

"Someday we will meet in Heaven or Hell..."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

BOB DAISLEY On DIO's Passing: 'The World Has Lost A Great Man' - May 19, 2010
Bassist Bob Daisley, who was a member of RAINBOW from 1977 to 1979, has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW, ELF):

"With the sad passing of my friend and colleague, the world has lost a great man. Not only was he a unique singer, musician and writer, he was a very special human being.

"Long live rock 'n' roll and long live the memory of the great Ronnie James Dio. He'll be sadly missed in many ways. Bless him."

Since the beginning of the '90s, Daisley has contributed to a wealth of recordings as bassist, lyricist and producer, including albums by YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, TAKARA, Bill Ward and Jeff Watson of NIGHT RANGER. In 2003, following his second, unsuccessful lawsuit against Ozzy Osbourne over royalties, he teamed up with Lee Kerslake, Steve Morse of DEEP PURPLE and Australian rock singer Jimmy Barnes to record an album under the name LIVING LOUD. Seven of the album's eleven tracks were covers of songs from OZZY OSBOURNE's "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" LPs.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Wow, that was really special. I've never seen that before. Amazing.

Thanks, 70s Guy.

Any official statement from Ozzy yet? or did I miss it?

2wf1fdk.jpg

Wow I never knew Ozzy and Dio met!

Yes Ozzy issued a statement,somewhere above.:grinthumb

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

RONNIE JAMES DIO: Public Memorial Service To Be Held Later This Month - May 19, 2010
There will be a public memorial service for Ronnie James Dio on Sunday, May 30 at 2:00 p.m. at The Hall Of Liberty located at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills, 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90068. This will be a celebration of the life and music of Ronnie James Dio and is open to all of his friends and fans from around the world.

For those of you that will be flying in from out of town or out of the country, Ronnie James Dio's official web site is working with various local hotels to arrange discount rates. As soon as they have more information, they will make it available.

BLACK SABBATH/HEAVEN & HELL bassist Terry "Geezer" Butler released a statement yesterday offering details of his last moments with Dio.

In his statement, Butler recounted his final days with the singer, who died on May 16 of stomach cancer at age 67.

Geezer said he shared his last laugh and received his final email from Ronnie on May 12, then went to visit him on May 15 at the hospital along with "25 to 30 friends".

"We knew the end was imminent," he wrote. "We all wanted to say our goodbyes."

Butler said the day was filled with tears and reflection.

"In the evening, the chaplain came, and we all gathered around Ronnie's bed and prayed," he wrote. "At 11 p.m., most of us left, leaving Wendy [Ronnie's wife] her privacy to say her last farewell. The devastation was palpable."

In addition to his wife Wendy, Ronnie is survived by son Daniel, grandchildren Julie and Joey, and father Pat.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online