Ronnie James Dio (Official Tribute Thread)

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Official Ronnie James Dio tribute thread

blabbermouth

RONNIE JAMES DIO's Death Causes Spike In eBay Listings - May 18, 2010
According to Zippycart.com, eBay is flooded with hundreds of pieces of memorabilia — much of which are autographed — from legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), who died this past Sunday (May 16) after a six-month battle with stomach cancer. There looks to be at least a dozen autographed guitars, numerous autographed prints and photos, signed CD and albums, as well as a signed drum head. The most expensive items look to be the guitars, which are being listed for up to $999.99 right now. However there are also two Ronnie James Dio signed "Tournado" box sets, which start at $699.99 and $750. As of now there are over 1,100 items that show up on eBay for sale or auction when you search for Ronnie James Dio, many of which seem to be from his years with BLACK SABBATH.

This eBay pattern is quite common — when someone famous passes away, hundreds, if not thousands, of pieces of memorabilia go up for auction or sale.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

Ex-RAINBOW Frontman DOOGIE WHITE: DIO Was One Of The Greatest Singers I Ever Heard - May 18, 2010
Scottish rock vocalist Doogie White (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, RAINBOW, CORNERSTONE, TANK) has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"A very great man lost his life [on Sunday].

"Ronnie James Dio was one of, if not the greatest singer I ever heard.

"I remember trembling when I heard 'Rainbow Rising', such was the passion and energy not only from the band and Ritchie's [Blackmore] guitar but from that voice that shone above all else. He was also a jolly decent chap who had time for all fans come rain, wind or shine.

"I first met Ronnie 10 years or so ago and he said, 'Ah! So you are Doogie, I know who you are, but never knew what you looked like. Come in, son and have a glass of wine. Is red okay?' This was backstage at the Wembley Arena. He dedicated 'Man On The Silver Mountain' to me that night, saying 'To my new friend, Doogie. You may have sung it, but I sang it first.'

"We met a few times after that and discussed his excitement at doing the TENACIOUS D movie and the loss of his thumb in the bizzare gardening accident. We agreed gardening was the new RnR.

"I had a tremendous affection for the man. He was kind, considerate and wonderful fun.

"My thoughts at this time go out to Wendy [Ronnie's wife/manager] and to the extended Dio family. You do know how much he was and is loved, for his music, his singing, his humanity.

"Catch the rainbow... Ronnie... Catch the rainbow."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

HADES Frontman On DIO: 'The World Darkens Further With The Passing Of Such An Icon' - May 18, 2010
Vocalist Alan Tecchio (HADES, WATCHTOWER, NON-FICTION) has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Ronnie James Dio has been a huge influence on me as a singer since the '80s when I began to sing in metal bands. Since those days, I've been lucky enough to interview many artists (for Steppin' Out magazine) that have influenced me, but I never had the chance to interview Dio. Of course, when you are in the interviewer's seat though, the interviewee often shows you their best side.

"By pure chance, I bumped into Mr. Dio in the Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus, New Jersey back in the mid-'80s. I was on my lunch break and saw him and an immense bodyguard shopping at The Wild Pair boot store. I recall approaching him and saying something stupid like, 'Ronnie, I just want to say — you are like a god to me!' Pretty silly, I know, but he was a class-act gentleman and thanked me for being a fan.

"It was amazing to meet him in such an environment and have him be so damn friendly and just plain cool. I think I was in a state of shock for the whole week after that....

"The world darkens further with the passing of such an icon.

"Rest in peace, Ronnie."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

Y&T Frontman: DIO's 'Kindness To His Fans And Commitment To His Art Was Exceptional' - May 18, 2010
Y&T guitarist/vocalist Dave Meniketti has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"At this current moment in time this is very difficult for me as I'm extremely saddened by the news of his passing so I may not so eloquently say exactly what I feel, but here it is, just the same.

"Though I can only speak of Ronnie as an acquaintance, his impact on me has been one of positivity and I will forever remember his spirit. This is not simply because he has been so kind to me over his career, but because he has reinforced the feelings I have for the way one should lead their lives as an entertainer and as a man.

"His talent speaks for itself, but his kindness to his fans and commitment to his art was exceptional. This man, with such an amazing and uncanny voice that had lasted for his entirety, has taught me a few things about how to be selfless, yet frank and unapologetic about life as a public figure and artist. As I have witnessed, Ronnie, no matter how tired, would greet every fan with true sincerity and complete attention, never belittling them, nor seeming to show any trace of being impatient with the commitment that comes with being a star.

"When I think back as Y&T started our first of many shows on tour together for the 'Meanstreak' record in 1983, I remember my feelings about hearing his voice for the first time. We had just walked into the hall as Dio was sound-checking. I had made it half way across the concert hall, looking for our backstage room as he started to sing. I stopped in my tracks and looked back in amazement as this incredibly huge voice bellowed out from the PA speakers. I was both taken aback and incredibly intimidated by his ability. Absolutely astonished, is all I could feel.

"Since that time, the band had become friends with the Dio bunch and have had many interactions throughout the years after.

"I remember when we were recording our 'Contagious' CD how the guys were across the parking lot rehearsing and we would each hang out at each others places. I remember the full bar, in a road case, that Ronnie had for their rehearsals and thought 'how cool is that.' I remember Vinny selflessly coming in the studio to help Jimmy work out how to play the beat to 'L.A. Rocks' when he was having trouble with the groove. And I mostly remember how Ronnie had entrusted me to be the first singer on the 'Stars' single for the HEAR N' AID project. His guidance as I sang the track was both knowledgeable and respectful, always in control and always a gentleman. I have many more personal memories that I will keep to myself, but suffice it to say that this man was a true star.

"I terribly mourn the loss of him and celebrate him to the highest. We have all lost a legendary vocalist and, as far as I'm concerned, a fine man beyond reproach. For myself, I have lost what I considered a true friend in what can often be a cut-throat and unfriendly business.

"Long live Ronnie James Dio."

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

It is amazing how close knit the rock community is when someone passes. All the tributes, all the feelings, is really touching.

When is the funeral? I bet that is going to be one HUGE event.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

Ex-DEEP PURPLE Keyboardist JON LORD: DIO's 'Voice Was An Instrument Of Power And Of Beauty' - May 18, 2010
Former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"I would like, along with my wife and daughters, to express my sadness at the passing of Ronnie Dio.

"[Ronnie was] a friend of many years standing and a truly delightful man. His voice was an instrument of power and of beauty, and was a seminal influence in rock music. His loss is even more devastating when considering how much more he would have had to offer us.

"My heart goes out to dear Wendy [Ronnie's wife/manager], and my thoughts are also with Roger [Glover, DEEP PURPLE bassist] and Ritchie [Blackmore, ex-DEEP PURPLE/RAINBOW guitarist], who were so close to him for so long.

"I will always cherish the memories of those remarkable nights at The Royal Albert Hall in September 1999 when, sitting on the stage with all the massed musicians of DEEP PURPLE, the London Symphony Orchestra et al, Ronnie sang Roger's lovely song 'Sitting in a Dream' and brought us smiles and tears, and goosebumps as big as they come.

"I shall forever connect that song with that moment and with Ronnie.

"Rest in peace, my friend."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

BLAZE BAYLEY: RONNIE JAMES DIO 'Was The Inspiration For Me To Start Singing' - May 18, 2010
Former IRON MAIDEN/WOLFSBANE frontman Blaze Bayley has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Very saddened by the news of the passing of Ronnie James Dio. He was the inspiration for me to start singing and join a metal band after seeing him perform in Birmingham Odeon many, many years ago on the 'Holy Diver' tour.

"My thoughts are with Wendy [Ronnie's wife/manager] and the family.

"On the few occasions I met Ronnie, he was an absolute gentleman, hero and superstar and an example to us all.

Thank you, Ronnie, for your wonderful work.

"Rest in peace."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

ANTHRAX Drummer: RONNIE JAMES DIO 'Was True Metal' - May 18, 2010
ANTHRAX drummer Charlie Benante has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"The first time I heard Ronnie James Dio, I thought he was a large person, The voice was so huge. It was RAINBOW and he was the singer. I was a fan of his from then on. I followed him with RAINBOW, SABBATH, DIO, etc. From 'Man on the Silver Mountain', 'Heaven and Hell', 'Rainbow in the Dark'... the songs are endless. The sound of his voice with those bands was always so perfect. It was his god-given instrument. He was true metal and the creator of the metal hand sign. Thank you for the music. He was divine."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

JORN LANDE: RONNIE JAMES DIO Will Always Live In My Heart And Music - May 18, 2010
Powerhouse Norwegian vocalist Jorn Lande (MASTERPLAN, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, ARK, THE SNAKES) has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Ronnie James Dio has passed away and my sorrow runs deeper than words can describe.

"When the world became a colder place, Ronnie was a symbol of fire and honesty. His magic will forever stay with me, and inspire me to go on.

"My thoughts go to his wife Wendy, his family and friends, in their devastating loss.

"I will honor Ronnie's memory, and he will always live in my heart and music."

MASTERPLAN vocalist Jorn Lande has a vocal capability that is world-class, distinctive, rich and spanning a large range. As such, the man is in high demand since he has guested or sung for such bands as MILLENIUM, ARK, THE SNAKES and many others. He is also a well-known solo artist with several albums under his belt, beginning with his 1999 debut, "Starfire".

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

It is amazing how close knit the rock community is when someone passes. All the tributes, all the feelings, is really touching.

When is the funeral? I bet that is going to be one HUGE event.
Last I heard, funeral arrangements hadn't been publically announced, but who knows. I would assume Wendy (and family) would want to keep things private, but wtf do I know.

Tell ya what, as much as I would HATE to be at this funeral, I'd like to see a picture of the all-star cast that I'm sure would be in attendence.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online

Members online