Rolling Stones's 100 Greatest Guitarists . . . of All Time!

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Re: RS's 100 Greatest Guitarists . . . of All Time!

I'm sorry, but what the hell Rory Gallagher is doing at 57th place? Why he is not much, much higher? Because he has not released a single?

Bollocks... ¬¬

JerseyGirl

Reaction score

Springsteen is an all around great musician and a very good rhythm guitarist. His music is guitar driven. He has been on quite a few guitar lists.

gguerra

Reaction score

The list is seriously flawed

Here is the complete breakdown one by one

100 Greatest Guitarists | Rolling Stone

I do know that Eddie Van Halen although he is talented does not belong at number 8. David Gilmour deserves a top ten position in my opinion.

Although Jimi Hendrix was very talented I would say more contemporary guitarists have surpassed him. If the list was done in the 60's or early 70's then yes Hendrix but the guy has been dead for over 40 years.

I could go on and on but oh well.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

At least this one includes Slash. Some may not like him but his solos are worthy of landing him a spot on most any guitar list.

Death on Credit

Reaction score

Kudos to the mods for handling that with utmost professionalism and not completely shutting down the thread! :cheers2 I think it can give way to some valid discussions if nobody starts to get personal.

I think that it's important to remember that there's room for everyone's tastes, and absolutely none of our opinions are the be-all-end-all. As AAG said, I think that this is a very well-rounded list. You've got your heavy metal virtuosos, your blues icons, your punk revolutionaries, and your classic rock gods. Sure, the top 10 is a little bit predictable, but there's a reason for that. The best are always going to be given a nod for being the best every time around.

If I had one problem with the list, it would be that Robert Johnson is too low...and I would have added Joe Strummer. But, who cares what I think? If I wanted a magazine that catered to my tastes, then I would start my own.

Last edited:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

There's always going to be a disagreement or two on here. It's normal for forums, and sometimes it gets heated. Anyway, there are a lot of lesser knowns on this one versus the last one. Did it in fact say somewhere that this list was made by other guitarists? I must have missed it, and that could account for the fact that it's a lot different. Also, Jimmy is a lot higher in this list than the last one. Rolling Stone is known for not giving LZ much love though. I wish they'd make these lists so you don't have to go through it page by page. A little time consuming.

Death on Credit

Reaction score

They do that on purpose...More clicks + more time spent on website = more ad views = more revenue.

They have a list of the voters on the introduction page. There are a few journalists on the panel, but it's vastly composed of guitar players/musicians.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

The Yardbirds with three of the top five.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online