Robin Trower (Official Thread)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: Robin Trower

ROBIN TROWER, if you want to get in to him basically it's all his albums that came out on the Chrysalis lable between 1973-83 that is his BEST material which are the following albums-

TWICE REMOVED FROM YESTERDAY
BRIDGE OF SIGHS
FOR EARTH BELOW
ROBIN TROWER LIVE
LONG MISTY DAYS
IN CITY DREAMS
CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT
VICTIMS OF THE FURY
B.L.T. (with Jack Bruce)
TRUCE (with Jack Bruce)
BACK IT UP

ROBIN released several albums during the 1980s & 90s on different lables which were ok but he went more 'bluesy' from the mid-1990s onwards.

On a personal note i met the man back-stage after he played a gig as part of 'The Night of the Guitars' in north London for a quick chat back in 1991 :)

I have of these

TWICE REMOVED FROM YESTERDAY
BRIDGE OF SIGHS
FOR EARTH BELOW
ROBIN TROWER LIVE
LONG MISTY DAYS
IN CITY DREAMS
CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT
VICTIMS OF THE FURY

The earlier stuff is definitely his best IMO. Love all the ones I own.

E-Z

Reaction score

I notice that some of you guy's don't include the BACK IT UP album that Robin released while still signed to the Chrysalis lable.

BACK IT UP was released in 1983 and is a 'good album' the best track on it is a thing called BENNY DANCER which is a long 'smoking' blues/rock number that you would play around 12-midnight and it sounds really cool also there are several other tracks such as BACK IT UP, BLACK TO RED, THE RIVER, CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT, NONE BUT THE BRAVE and a couple of instrumentals as well one called ISLANDS. Jimmy Dewar only plays bass on 2-tracks and sings on the whole album in fact this was Jimmy's 'last album' that he made with Robin, if you can get hold of this album it is worth gettin :)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I notice that some of you guy's don't include the BACK IT UP album that Robin released while still signed to the Chrysalis lable.

BACK IT UP was released in 1983 and is a 'good album' the best track on it is a thing called BENNY DANCER which is a long 'smoking' blues/rock number that you would play around 12-midnight and it sounds really cool also there are several other tracks such as BACK IT UP, BLACK TO RED, THE RIVER, CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT, NONE BUT THE BRAVE and a couple of instrumentals as well one called ISLANDS. Jimmy Dewar only plays bass on 2-tracks and sings on the whole album in fact this was Jimmy's 'last album' that he made with Robin, if you can get hold of this album it is worth gettin :)

61VSTQcMB2L._AA300_.jpg

Thanks for the plug EZ.. I have it pulled up on Amazon right now sampling some of the songs.. Truth is.. I've never heard this album nor seen it before..
Around that time.. I had bought In City Dreams.. which for the most part was NOT really to my liking.. I fell in love with "Little Girl" though and it's still one of my top Trower songs..
Back It Up is a fair price on Amazon and I would really like to have it on vinyl instead of a CD.. But I'll check it out.. :cheers2

E-Z

Reaction score

Yep thats the album BACK IT UP i actually like it along with VICTIMS OF THE FURY as well.

Yeah on the IN CITY DREAMS & CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT albums Robin went more R&B and 'lost his ROCK audience' but came back hard with VICTIMS OF THE FURY in 1980. Some of the tracks off of IN CITY DREAMS & CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT are ok i like BURNING LOVE off of CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT but to be honest i havan't heard both albums for a hell of a long time.

Just a minor thing BACK IT UP was released in the USA with a BLACK background cover like you have there but in the UK it was released with a WHITE background cover although they both have the same cover picture :)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I can pick it up on Amazon on vinyl so that's cool.. Just under 14 bucks.. I like the sound of Benny Dancer.. Nice little groove..
And as with all bands who change their formula.. Trower did with the albums you mentioned..They were NOTHING like the Classic Blues he was known for with his BOS and For Earth Below albums.
Victims of the Fury has grown on me.. I play the hell out of Jack and Jill and Roads To Freedom.. Honorable mention to the title track song and The Ring.

E-Z

Reaction score

Yeah VICTIMS OF THE FURY i really like that album as well, i did have a video tape (remember those?) of a live gig Robin played in February 1980 in London recorded by the BBC called ROCK GOES TO COLLEGE where Robin, Jimmy & Bill (Lordan) play 5 or 6 numbers off of VICTIMS OF THE FURY as well as DAY OF THE EAGLE, DAYDREAM, TOO ROLLING STONED, BRIDGE OF SIGHS, LADY LOVE & LITTLE BIT OF SYMPATHY the whole set plays at around 45-50 minutes and it's a nice set hopefully one day it mite be released onto dvd :)

***I'm NOT SURE if they perform HANNAH as well?***

Last edited by a moderator:

E-Z

Reaction score

The full track listing for the BACK IT UP album released in 1983 is-

BACK IT UP
RIVER
BLACK TO RED
BENNY DANCER
TIME IS SHORT
ISLANDS
NONE BUT THE BRAVE
CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT
SETTLING THE SCORE

Also 3 other albums that were released in the UK after Robin's last Chrysalis album BACK IT UP was released in 1983 during the 1980s were-

BEYOND THE MIST released in 1985 and included 2 new studio tracks the rest of the album was recorded live in London in 1985 and included a live version of BRIDGE OF SIGHS

PASSION released on the GNP lable (i think?) in 1986

TAKE WHAT YOU NEED released 1988 on Atlantic records in the USA & UK

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

:grinthumb

Gotta post Benny Dancer off Back It Up.. So members can enjoy this slick Trower Groove..

E-Z

Reaction score

Hiya Slip'nn2Darkness & Trower fan's, that was pretty cool that BENNY DANCER the great undiscovered Trower track buried away on BACK IT UP i'm gad i mentioned that album to you all :grinthumb

Back around 10 or 11 years ago here in the UK there was a KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR release from the USA recorded live 1977 which featured Robin and the band promoting the then current IN CITY DREAMS album featuring Rusty Allan on bass guitar, Jimmy Dewar on lead vocals & Bill Lordan on drums. I've still got this cd in my Trower collection although this cd is long since been deleted overhere in the UK :)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

EZ.. I was listening to some Marvin Gaye and Curtis Mayfield today.. Marvin's.. Inner City Blues and Curtis's "Freddie's Dead" and it reminded me of Trower so much..
And you had to bring up the KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR.. I listened to that religiously..What a flash back..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online