RIP Doug Fieger

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Knack lead singer Doug Fieger dies of cancer
Paul Egan / The Detroit News

Doug Fieger, the lead singer of the rock band The Knack, has died after a battle with cancer, his brother, the prominent Southfield attorney Geoffrey Fieger, confirmed today.

He was 57.

Fieger sang lead vocals on the 1979 hit "My Sharona," which held the No. 1 spot for six weeks.

He attended Eleanor Roosevelt Elementary School in Oak Park and Oak Park High School.

Fieger was living in Woodland Hills, Calif. and was being treated at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

"Everybody knows they're going sooner or later," Fieger told Detroit News columnist Neal Rubin in a January interview. "I don't know any better than anyone else when I'm going.

"I've had 10 great lives. And I expect to have some more. I don't feel cheated in any way, shape or form."

Geoffrey Fieger said the family will issue a statement later today.

Detroit native Jaan Uhelszki, a former editor at Creem Magazine in Detroit who is now a music writer based on the West Coast, knew Doug Fieger when he had the band Sky, which predated The Knack.

"He had a radiant talent," she said. "He was determined and pugnacious with big dreams, most of which he achieved."

Aaron Goff, who taught both Fiegers at Oak Park High School, remembers Doug as talented but less outgoing and bombastic than his brother Geoffrey.

"He was a nice young man," Goff said. "He wasn't extroverted like Geoffrey. He kept to himself a little more."

But Detroit News columnist Laura Berman, who grew up next door to the Fiegers in Oak Park, said she never doubted Doug Fieger was headed for stardom.

"He was one of the most extraordinary people that I ever met," Berman said. "He was the pied piper. He was so charismatic and admired that people would just follow him everywhere."

Fieger was always putting on dramatic productions -- staging his own funeral with his brother Geoffrey's help when he was about 10 and Samuel Beckett's theater of the absurd classic "Waiting for Godot" in high school, she said.

"I'm more surprised that he wasn't a big star all his life than I am that he became a star," Berman said. "He always felt destined for stardom and intent on making himself a star."

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
RIP Doug. Get The Knack was one of the soundtracks to my junior year in HS in 79-80

That makes two members gone now. Bruce Gary, the drummer died a few years ago as well.

Reaction score
Oh my...that's sad....my sister will be very upset over this....

I was about to say she would be, I think MP really liked him/the band too

this is definitely a bummer... Even outside of the brilliant tunes I have nothing but respect for this guy....
The music is so underrated and brilliant and fun, very, very, very fun music:grinthumb

here's to you Doug F. :hab::clap::tm:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I remember the first time I heard "My Sharona", my friends and I were checking some new stereo equipment at one of our favorite stores, and one of the salesmen who was my friend played the new Knack album on one of their best systems. It was epic, and I concur with Groovy Man, one of the most fun songs of it's day.

R.I.P. Doug, you will be missed.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
:wa:

Sucks....in a word...SUCKS!!!

They were just starting to make records again in the 2000's....

R . I. P. Doug!! You will be missed by myself and MILLIONS!!!

We love not only the Knack as a name but YOUR MUSIC!!

31RM3N31MWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

3fb481b0c8a06ed6477da110.L.jpg

Last edited:

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
My hero.

If anyone's coming up to Minnesota, I call road trip.

I really want to attend his funeral. I really, really do. It's the most a girl can do just to say thanks for all the wonderful times that were had with his music present.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craqdi

Staff online

Members online