{Resolved} Private Message Suggestion

Should CRF keep the "Who's Online" feature?

• YES, I like to use this feature and it doesn't infringe on my privacy.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • NO, I don't like this feature and it infringes on my privacy.

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Re: Private Message Suggestion

I will check on my site in a bit to see if I can find some more information (since I don't have full admin privs here, I'd need that to check it out) :tongue:

If there's no option in ACP then the only way to do it is edit the script of who's online.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Here's my two cents.. As for PM people .. I don't care about that at all.. It's a nice function to have.. But what I like about the "Who's Online' is if I'm getting ready to log off I make a pass back to who's online to see if anybody is responding to a thread I just posted in or if someone is Pming me.. I've run into a friend who I don't get to talk with much and that's because it tells me who's logged on without going to the forum home page..:)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

The issue seems to be "Who's Online" and privacy.

Who's Online is a feature that I allow all members to use. There are two options for this feature, either it is turned ON or it is turned OFF.

This will not stop members from visiting your profile to see your current activity.

If Who's Online is turned off, the staff will still be able to use this feature.

If the census comes back that the majority of the forum would like to see "Who's Online" shut off, then I will shut this feature off. I will add a poll just for this reason, that way people can give their opinion in the poll and remain anonymous.

Fever

Reaction score

Here's my two cents.. As for PM people .. I don't care about that at all.. It's a nice function to have.. But what I like about the "Who's Online' is if I'm getting ready to log off I make a pass back to who's online to see if anybody is responding to a thread I just posted in or if someone is Pming me.. I've run into a friend who I don't get to talk with much and that's because it tells me who's logged on without going to the forum home page..:)

I also like to see who is online.And I don't care if someone can see my current activity and who I might have sent a PM to.They can't read the PM and it's none of their business.No member has to explain to any other member why they sent a PM to someone.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Doesn't matter to me if they can see me PM'ing and who it's being sent to.

I do like catching Spammers who join and immediately start sending crap to our members, doesn't happen often but that is the biggest use I get from the viewing PM feature.

LyricalLaurel

EΔЯ ЯESPOИSIBŁE, too!
Reaction score

You have a point here, Slip. I, too, look to see where people are for "new" material for my growing CR knowledge base, looking for new posts, etc. As a whole, I like this feature and if it remains, I will stop feeling as if I am spying :****: But of course I've had time to think about it :D In fact, I often find it interesting to see what our GUESTS are viewing.... I've found some interesting threads that way!:uh:

Thanks to Tunez, Lynch, Magic and LG as Mods and Admins for your thoughtful consideration.

Tunez, I'm glad you closed the thread when you did - I did not expect some of the responses that were elicited and that might have continued. It could have make the thread fall short on its intent. We are (mostly - age wise) adults in a public forum. We have the privilege to behave like adults, though of course we adults are not perfect and tempers can flair. Oh, and there you have it - Public! :heheh:

Magic, the poll is a great idea. I should have thought of that! :grinthumb And that there are only 2 options, based on the software restrictions, makes my vote easier. I didn't know what you could do, you wizard, you! :bow:

My vote is in. I'm personally not concerned about privacy issues - and I'm sure that if whomever I PM is concerned, he/she will tell me. And then we can take our conversation off this forum.

So much for my first "contribution/idea" for the forum! :bonk: :heheh:

Last edited:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Not to be a butthead but I just don't get why anyone would care who someone else is talking to :wtf:

EDIT ..either way I don't care

LyricalLaurel

EΔЯ ЯESPOИSIBŁE, too!
Reaction score

^^^ did you ever wonder what a butthead looks like?? :lmao: (ok, totally off topic but I couldn't resist!)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

^^^ did you ever wonder what a butthead looks like?? :lmao: (ok, totally off topic but I couldn't resist!)

beavis_and_butthead_mtv_image.jpg

Umm no ..heh heh heh heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online